Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yerf
    • By Yerf 8th Sep 17, 12:54 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Yerf
    Management co. fees for info
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:54 AM
    Management co. fees for info 8th Sep 17 at 12:54 AM
    I have agreed sale of a 2 bed leasehold flat, part of a managed block. I provided my solicitor with details of the last 3 years management fees, insurance etc but he has some further questions for the management company to satisfy the purchasers solicitor. The management company will not answer these few questions but instead refer to their list of pre-sales enquiry option packs. The ones required to answer the questions cost me £534! These packs contain a mass of unnecessary info, most of which I have provided and much of which is freely available/public domain!!
    Does anyone think I have any chance of challenging this fee?
Page 1
    • economic
    • By economic 8th Sep 17, 12:59 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    economic
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:59 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:59 AM
    Well you can always ask but if they say no then you have to pay up if you want to sell!

TBH legally they don't even have to provide anything and so technically you may never be able to sell to a buyer who requires the management pack!
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 8th Sep 17, 6:36 AM
    • 3,962 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:36 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:36 AM
    the joys of buying a leasehold flat, you are at the mercy of the management or in this case 'The Syndicate'
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 8th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    Check out this current thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5705157
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 8th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    TBH legally they don't even have to provide anything and so technically you may never be able to sell to a buyer who requires the management pack!
    Originally posted by economic
    Each case is different.
    AFAIK the managing agent is typically appointed by the freeholder, or is a company owned by the freeholder itself (hello, overcharging…). Leaseholders tend not to have any direct contractual relationship with the managing agent, bust most leases would stipulate that the freeholder would somehow collaborate with leasehoders selling their lease, e.g. provide up to date statements, etc. There is, of course, very little recourse against unreasonable fees.
    The leaseholders of a development in Vauxhall (London) won a case which made the headlines: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-2039128/MARKET-WATCH-Flat-owners-win-record-1m-payout.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

293Posts Today

1,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin