Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheSamHughes
    • By TheSamHughes 7th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TheSamHughes
    HTB ISA to LISA for pending purchase
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    HTB ISA to LISA for pending purchase 7th Sep 17 at 10:13 PM
    Hi All,

I have been saving into my help to buy isa for a while now and have about £4600 in the account.
    Ive just been reading online to see what the procedure is for getting the bonus and noticed that it states its only paid for a property less then £250k. Which is a problem as the property Ive put an offer in for is £285k. So my question is should I transfer my HTB ISA into a LISA so that the property limit is £450 and I will still be eligible for the government bonus? If I do so is their a minimum time before I can width-draw the balance? I would hope because the money has been moved from one ISA to another I wouldn't have to wait a full year. Can anyone clear this up for me and offer any advice?

Thanks in advance
    Sam
    Last edited by TheSamHughes; 07-09-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 5,670 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    Unfortunately the LISA one-year rule isn't circumvented by transferring in from another type of ISA, so if you open a LISA now then you wouldn't be able to withdraw any money without penalty for a full year from the date of opening it, regardless of where that money came from, as per clause 9B.43a of the official HMRC rules:
    A charge-free withdrawal for a first time residential purpose can only be made from a Lifetime ISA that has been open for at least 12 months after the date of first payment into it.
    Unless the property you're looking at is within London and its boroughs (in which case the maximum value for HTB purposes is £450K), it looks like you're going to have to forego the 25% bonus I'm afraid....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

1,738Users online

Martin's Twitter