Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BigBus2017
    • By BigBus2017 7th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BigBus2017
    FD mortgage process
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    FD mortgage process 7th Sep 17 at 9:52 PM
    Hi, I applied for a remortgage with First Direct almost 3 weeks ago and the application was sent to the underwriters yesterday and I was told a decision will be made by the end of Friday.

On Monday I received a call from FD asking me to call them using my work telephone so they can verify my employment.
    Is this a normal procedure? if so, why so late in the process?

Anyway I did call them from my work phone that same day.
    I have also spoken to another member in the forum about their recent experience with FD and they weren't asked to call from their place of work.

Any information will be appreciated :)
Page 1
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 8th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 14,901 Posts
    • 127,298 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    They are very thorough and painstaking at checking people, though I don't recall having to go through this when I remortgaged with them almost ten years ago. In the new financial climate, maybe they've had to tighten things up even more.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 8th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    They didn’t ask me, but my salary was paid into a FD account, so my situation was different.
    I applied around February, and found them to be surprisingly quick and efficient. I have unfortunately had to cancel at the last moment, because a change of circumstances meant I needed a mortgage with no early repayment penalties, whereas the one I had been approved for did have some heavy penalties.
    I am now going through the process with HSBC, part of the same group, and have found them to be extremely slower and more inefficient. No idea how representative this is, though.
    • BigBus2017
    • By BigBus2017 9th Sep 17, 1:15 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BigBus2017
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:15 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:15 AM
    *i don't have any accounts with FD/HSBC
    My initial response from FD has been very positive and their customer service beem first class ; they answer before the phone rings..and no automated machines.

As i said before on Wednesday afternoon i call to get a update and was told the application has been sent to the underwriters today and i would get a response via text msg by Friday.
    Waited allday today no text msg or call. So I call for an update and told the mortgage was approved on Wednesday @9am...Now this is getting very confusing!!'
    Im also told its gone to the customer service accounts team?
    Only reason I applied was coz of the 1.84% rate fee saver 5 year fix with unlimited overpayments, but now im starting to think il keep going round in circles.
    • BigBus2017
    • By BigBus2017 9th Sep 17, 1:18 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BigBus2017
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:18 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:18 AM
    Also no hard search been done only soft search enquiries on both rxpr
    • BigBus2017
    • By BigBus2017 9th Sep 17, 1:21 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BigBus2017
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:21 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:21 AM
    Also no hard search been done only soft search enquiries on both experian and equifax; different dates and one by hsbc for identification
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,436Posts Today

9,308Users online

Martin's Twitter