Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 7th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 13Thanks
    QQQ
    Mystery with Autotrader
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    Mystery with Autotrader 7th Sep 17 at 9:42 PM
    Autotrader - why cars from trade sellers usually cost less than from private ones? Assuming trade sellers are supposed to make profit how do they get cars cheaper then private sellers would sell for?
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    Because private sellers are unrealistic with their price.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 26,050 Posts
    • 10,386 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    Exactly that. Especially when buyers used finance to pay for the car and take the total figure into account.
    Car price + finance they they read the reviews saying their car loses ##% and work it out on the total price and then round it up.

Its why we get why wont my car sell threads.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 7th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    QQQ
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    Because private sellers are unrealistic with their price.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    OK but then where do trade sellers get cars cheaper then private sellers would sell for? They can only get them from private sellers being not only realistic about the price but also leaving some space for trade seller's profit.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 7th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 5,445 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    I think part of the price is haggling - private buyers generally still expect to have to knock a few hundred £££ off, but dealers are already priced competitively (to get the phone to ring in the first place) and are less likely to have any budge.

OK but then where do trade sellers get cars cheaper then private sellers would sell for? They can only get them from private sellers being not only realistic about the price but also leaving some space for trade seller's profit.
    Originally posted by QQQ
    Auctions, trade-ins, "we buy cars" adverts.

People will be offered (and often accept) pretty low trade-in values.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 8th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    As the last post most traders either buy cars from auction taking the risk. If they buy a lemon it goes straight back to the same auction site. It's why if you go to an auction and none of the traders are bidding on a particular car it has probably gone through a couple of times and word gets round it's a lemon.

Traders often have contacts in the dealers who pass the best trade in cars on with little mark up on the trade in price. The rough trade ins go straight to auction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,430Posts Today

7,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin