Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • g67bbx
    • By g67bbx 7th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    g67bbx
    Advice on a potential contest
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    Advice on a potential contest 7th Sep 17 at 9:35 PM
    Hi
    I am asking advise on my grandmothers will.

There are two daughters of the deceased. Both have been named in the will. One has been named as receiving everything (and is the executrix), whilst the other has been named as receiving nothing for failing to maintain meaningful contact. The one who is getting nothing lives abroad. She is stating that the deceased promised to give her half of the sale of the property some years ago. However, like I said she is named in the will as receiving nothing. She is trying to claim that the deceased had a stroke (which is true) and began acting strangely afterwards, including cutting off the phone. However the will was made before she had the stroke in the presence of two secretaries for the solicitor. The reasons for cutting her out of the will include sending nasty emails to her sister. She is now claiming that her sister is manipulative and has been spending her mothers money since her dad passed away (how would she prove this untrue allegation)
    I have read that " You would have the right to bring a claim but (in England and Wales) you’d only succeed if you could show that you’d been dependent on your parent financially." What does this mean in layman's terms. Would she be entitled to something, overriding the will. Would she have to show proof that an agreement had been made to split the sale.
    BTW, the sale happened last year, and the deceased moved into the family home (of the person who everything was left to) and paid off the mortgage using proceeds of the property.
    Advice would be appreciated as its stressing us out.
Page 2
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 15th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 5,449 Posts
    • 24,791 Thanks
    thorsoak
    If your grandmother's will states unequivocally that the second daughter is to receive nothing and gives an explanation in the will, then any contest of it would be unlikely to succeed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

6,647Users online

Martin's Twitter