Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NIKKID
    • By NIKKID 7th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    NIKKID
    Help with No Claims Bonus
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    Help with No Claims Bonus 7th Sep 17 at 9:28 PM
    Can anyone advise me? I'm about to restart driving again after eighteen months out with a medical condition and obviously car insurance is going to be a must. What I'm not sure of is what I should enter as my no claims bonus bearing in mind there's a big eighteen month hole in my driving record - couldn't have any accidents if I wasn't able to drive.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Faith177
    • By Faith177 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    Faith177
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    NBC is normally valid for up to 2 years without being used so you should be ok
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Date 27/04/2013

WW - Start Weight 15.1 Goal 10.10 loss so far 9lbs
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    • 26,037 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    You have what you can prove. Got the old renewal proving your no claims?

There maybe questions on why the gap.

Not being able to drive / accidents / claims are not linked to you not being able to drive.

Its possible you were advised not to drive and having the car parked unused and someone crash into it. So possible to make a claim when not driving.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    • 33,258 Posts
    • 17,195 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    Your no claims bonus is a different issue to your claims history.

If you had any NCD that you earned from previous insurance policies that is what you can use now (assuming it's still valid and not out of date)
    • NIKKID
    • By NIKKID 8th Sep 17, 6:44 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NIKKID
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:44 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:44 AM
    Thanks for your advice. I'm a bit nervous navigating dodgy waters - you can so easily be wrong when you are trying hard to do the right thing. I relinquished my licence [not entirely willingly] but I'm keen to get going again now I've had the all-clear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

8,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin