Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeahJayne9913
    • By LeahJayne9913 7th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LeahJayne9913
    Life assurance policy
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    Life assurance policy 7th Sep 17 at 9:28 PM
    Hi, I'm trying to help my dad with a policy he took out in 1992 with Barclays, for the first 10 years he paid in £15 a month however since then it is constantly increasing and now they have given him an ultimatum to cash out not for £3000 or pay £183 a month for a year and then keep paying the annual increases (approx £500 a year increases) until it matures in 2025, by this time they estimate it will mature at less than £23k which is not much more than he'd be paying to them over the next 7 years. The policy was taken out with Barclays however is now with a company called ReAssure. Please can anyone advise what to do
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 13,174 Posts
    • 13,485 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    He needs to decide whether he wants to keep it or not, depending on his need for cover and overall financial circumstances.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 7th Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 89,468 Posts
    • 54,938 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    This thread would have been better placed in the insurance section. Maybe a board guide/admin will move it.
    Please can anyone advise what to do
    That is a regulated activity and not allowed. What you get here is discussion and opinion. Not advice.

However, even if we could give advice, you havent given enough to go on.

Does he still need life assurance?
    could he replace it with a modern plan (what he is like having a black & white TV when today you buy ultra HD widescreens etc)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 7th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    Does your father have any need of life assurance? If he was to die would he have any dependents that need the payout? People often don't modify their insurance coverage appropriately as their circumstances change.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

829Posts Today

5,664Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin