Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 7th Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 3Thanks
    2004arron
    Clear creditors defaults
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    Clear creditors defaults 7th Sep 17 at 9:14 PM
    Good evening.

I've just checked my credit score for the first time in about 7 years. It indicated that I was responsible for a debt from sept 2009, some sort of home credit which I'm not aware of.

At present it displays a default notification from Lowells form Apr 2015.

Should they still be trying to chase/ enforce the debt after such a long time?

Are they still aloud to place default notifications on the report?

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    • 12,471 Posts
    • 11,863 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    Hi,

Yes to both.

Have they written to you about this debt ?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 8th Sep 17, 12:56 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2004arron
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:56 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:56 AM
    Yes, only recently when I moved.

I'm considering sending them a prove it letter. Do you think this would assist me?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 12,471 Posts
    • 11,863 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    Yes, provit letter a good starting point.

See what Lowell have to say for themselves.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    Hi 2004arron

Sending a prove it letter is always a good idea if you have any doubts about the debt. If they can prove the debt is yours you may still be able to argue they have run out of time to pursue you. This is when a debt is known as statute barred.

This will apply if there has been 6 years since the date they could have taken court action (this is usually after one or two missed payments) where you did not pay the debt or acknowledge it in writing.

A default should be registered in a timely manner, usually when your arrears are between 3 to 6 months. The debt and the default will then drop off your credit file 6 years after the date of the default. If you think the default date is wrong you can challenge it, but it is best to look into whether you owe the debt or it is statute barred first.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 10th Sep 17, 11:10 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2004arron
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:10 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:10 PM
    It's now sent. What's an acceptable time frame to wait?
  • National Debtline
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    Hi again 2004arron

There's no set timescale but I would say 14 days is reasonable. If you hadn't heard anything at all by then it could be worth getting back in touch. It's a good idea to send correspondence by recorded delivery if you can so you have proof they received your letter.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 11th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2004arron
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    How would you suggest I follow up if I fail to receive a response or the default removed?
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:15 AM

If they don't respond you will need to send a follow up letter, try to make sure it's sent by recorded delivery. If you have proof they've received your letter and not responded you can raise a complaint.

If they fail to provide proof the debt is yours then you could ask them to remove the debt from your credit file. If they won’t agree, make a complaint. If that’s not successful you may be able take your complaint on to the Financial Ombudsman www.fos.org.uk.

If you believe the information on your credit file is not accurate you can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) www.ico.org.uk. And if you need ongoing help you can contact one of the free debt advice agencies for advice. Best of luck with it.

Susie
    @natdebtline
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

4,005Users online

Martin's Twitter