Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C8957
    • By C8957 7th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    C8957
    M25 speeding
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    M25 speeding 7th Sep 17 at 8:58 PM
    Hi,
    I was travelling south on the m25 last night (I think around junction 10?) and the variable speed limit changed to 20 mph even though the motorway was fairly quiet (I didn't see it change to this , I just got to part of the motorway that had this limit displayed) . I started to slow down , but literally nobody else slowed down so it would have been very dangerous to drive at 20. I think I slowed down to about 40, but even then people were over taking me . Not one person drove at 20.

Has anyone else had an experience like this ? I am very worried as I'll probably get a ticket , and I haven't been driving long so I could also lose my license
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    Hi,
    I was travelling south on the m25 last night (I think around junction 10?) and the variable speed limit changed to 20 mph even though the motorway was fairly quiet (I didn't see it change to this , I just got to part of the motorway that had this limit displayed) . I started to slow down , but literally nobody else slowed down so it would have been very dangerous to drive at 20. I think I slowed down to about 40, but even then people were over taking me . Not one person drove at 20.

Has anyone else had an experience like this ? I am very worried as I'll probably get a ticket , and I haven't been driving long so I could also lose my license
    Originally posted by C8957
    Are you already on three points?
    • C8957
    • By C8957 7th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    C8957
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    Are you already on three points?
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    I don't have any currently , but I'm worried I'll get 6 as I was going quite a lot faster than 20
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    It's a waiting game I'm afraid, to see if you get a ticket. Everyone else's speed isn't a defence if you do.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    waamo
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    If your V5C has the correct address on it you will know within 14 days if you are in a spot of bother or not. Nothing you can do till then.
    This space for hire.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 8th Sep 17, 6:32 AM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:32 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:32 AM
    Judging by the way everyone else seems to ignore the posted limits on that bit of the M25 I don't think there are many cameras about there.
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 8th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 8,378 Thanks
    wymondham
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    I frequently drive at the variable limit on the M25 and people flash and gesticulate to me, especially lorry drivers.... never sure if the speed limits are 'left over' from old accidents etc...
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 8th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    HogMan
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    the variable speed limit changed to 20 mph
    Are you sure?

I have never seen a variable speed sign on any motorway that showed less than 40. Even when traffic is stationary or very slow the signs still show 40.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 18,546 Posts
    • 14,273 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    Are you sure?

I have never seen a variable speed sign on any motorway that showed less than 40. Even when traffic is stationary or very slow the signs still show 40.
    Originally posted by HogMan
    I have seen it as low as 20 but only ever when the traffic has already been forced to slow to a lower speed than that anyway. I'd agree that in most circumstances 40 seems to be the lowest speed displayed.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 8th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    HogMan
    That sounds logical. Often the signs step down. Going straight down to 20 on an otherwise clear road seems very strange.
    • C8957
    • By C8957 8th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    C8957
    Are you sure?

Originally posted by HogMan

I'm positive it was 20- someone was in the car with me who also remembers . It was a very strange situation . It would have been dangerous if I drove at that speed
    • gerkin
    • By gerkin 8th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    gerkin
    What was the speed on the next display? Did it go back to national speed limit ? If so, you are okay, it was probably a glitch. I have seen it happen and I have exceeded the speed and never got a ticket.
    • C8957
    • By C8957 8th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    C8957
    What was the speed on the next display? Did it go back to national speed limit ? If so, you are okay, it was probably a glitch. I have seen it happen and I have exceeded the speed and never got a ticket.
    Originally posted by gerkin
    I left the motorway shortly after. I did initially start to slow down but literally nobody else did so it would have been dangerous . The fact that nobody else slowed down makes me think that maybe they know something I don't , as I don't usually drive on the m25
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 8th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    The trouble is, too many people believe the gossip they hear in the pubs and around the water cooler. Many think that the cameras only work when a speed limit is displayed on them. That's mostly untrue now, now if you see cameras, you are well advised to assume they are functioning at all limits including NSL. There are lots of people being caught on M4/5 as a result...
    • Dclutterchique
    • By Dclutterchique 9th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    Dclutterchique
    I believe that it use to be the case (don't know if it still is) that the maximum amount by which a speed limit could be increased or decreased in one increment was 30mph. This would fit in with other posters saying that they have seen temporary limits only go down to 40mph. If this is still true, then the limit would have to drop to either 50mph or 40mph and then to 20mph in order to be legal. If you do get a ticket then according to these people you are allowed to ask for proof that the new limit was showing at the time. (one from the bottom in FAQs)
    Last edited by Dclutterchique; 09-09-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 9th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    Car 54
    If you do get a ticket then according to these people you are allowed to ask for proof that the new limit was showing at the time. (one from the bottom in FAQs)
    Originally posted by Dclutterchique
    You can ask, but they're not obliged to provide any evidence unless you go to court, which means losing the option of a course or FP.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 9th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 12,481 Posts
    • 10,471 Thanks
    zagfles
    The trouble is, too many people believe the gossip they hear in the pubs and around the water cooler. Many think that the cameras only work when a speed limit is displayed on them. That's mostly untrue now, now if you see cameras, you are well advised to assume they are functioning at all limits including NSL. There are lots of people being caught on M4/5 as a result...
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Yes - last week I was driving through a "smart" motorway section, going 70 in the right lane overtaking someone doing 68-69 in the middle so it took a while, and some idiot started tailgating me, anyway evertually when I pulled over he floored it and I'm sure I saw a couple of flashes as he went under the next gantry - no speed limit was displayed.
    • Dclutterchique
    • By Dclutterchique 9th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    Dclutterchique
    You can ask, but they're not obliged to provide any evidence unless you go to court, which means losing the option of a course or FP.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Far enough, but surely anyone doing 40 in a 20 zone would have forfeited the option to take a course?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Yes - last week I was driving through a "smart" motorway section, going 70 in the right lane overtaking someone doing 68-69 in the middle so it took a while, and some idiot started tailgating me, anyway evertually when I pulled over he floored it and I'm sure I saw a couple of flashes as he went under the next gantry - no speed limit was displayed.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    I like karma like that. I remember driving along the M4 in Wiltshire, having overtaken a traffic car that was doing 65ish, and I could see him in the distance in my rear view mirror. The guy tailgating me didn't use his mirrors, did an aggressive overtake and I noticed the police car advance and the car got pulled over. I had a chuckle at that one...
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 9th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    • 5,689 Posts
    • 7,159 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    The minimum enforceable speed limit is 30 mph.
    Anything below this is recommendatory.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,398Posts Today

7,226Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin