Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dk5294
    • By dk5294 7th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 169Posts
    • 21Thanks
    dk5294
    Problems with management
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    Problems with management 7th Sep 17 at 8:02 PM
    Need advice. I started my job 3 months ago and never really had any training. I've been shown how to do a task and left to it for a week or two before being tasked to do something else and then put back. I make mistakes which are announced across an office or the supervisor will storm around shouting. The term "name and shame" is used and they'll shout out who made the mistake. Today it escalated that an issue I was sure I resolved actually hasn't been resolved, but as the supervisor was getting into hot water he decided to bring up I'd been doing this continuously. I was ridiculed by both managers and asked to name areas and then asked why I couldn't get it right, in front of another 8-10 people. I was then told if it continued I'd be taken to a disciplinary. I've been asked to do tasks and asked for help, to later he told I've done it incorrectly in the same manner as above and only then been told how to do it correctly. When some matters arise 1 supervisor makes me walk the length of the office to his desk, where I then have to stand whilst he berates me with at least 4 other people. I understand mistakes are costly to a business but even when asking for help I'm left sitting and the management don't even listen fully to what I am asking so I never have any real understanding. If I ask for help a second time I'm told it's already been explained/shown to me once. I end up so worried about making mistakes, I make mistakes. I constantly feel unwell and on edge at work and usually leave feeling anxious and useless. Is there anything I can do? I want to be good at my job and succeed but I feel like I'm just there until they can find a suitable replacement. They have recently brought in new training staff, who have already received more training than I ever have and they've openly spoken about how they can pay someone off within 2yrs with no come back.
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 6,100 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    Need advice. I started my job 3 months ago and never really had any training. I've been shown how to do a task and left to it for a week or two before being tasked to do something else and then put back. I make mistakes which are announced across an office or the supervisor will storm around shouting. The term "name and shame" is used and they'll shout out who made the mistake. Today it escalated that an issue I was sure I resolved actually hasn't been resolved, but as the supervisor was getting into hot water he decided to bring up I'd been doing this continuously. I was ridiculed by both managers and asked to name areas and then asked why I couldn't get it right, in front of another 8-10 people. I was then told if it continued I'd be taken to a disciplinary. I've been asked to do tasks and asked for help, to later he told I've done it incorrectly in the same manner as above and only then been told how to do it correctly. When some matters arise 1 supervisor makes me walk the length of the office to his desk, where I then have to stand whilst he berates me with at least 4 other people. I understand mistakes are costly to a business but even when asking for help I'm left sitting and the management don't even listen fully to what I am asking so I never have any real understanding. If I ask for help a second time I'm told it's already been explained/shown to me once. I end up so worried about making mistakes, I make mistakes. I constantly feel unwell and on edge at work and usually leave feeling anxious and useless. Is there anything I can do? I want to be good at my job and succeed but I feel like I'm just there until they can find a suitable replacement. They have recently brought in new training staff, who have already received more training than I ever have and they've openly spoken about how they can pay someone off within 2yrs with no come back.
    Originally posted by dk5294
    And I'm afraid they are correct. There is only one solution. Find another job as quickly as you can. They won't change. And you can't make them.
    • dk5294
    • By dk5294 7th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    dk5294
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    I just don't see how this is anyway ok. I was accused of making a mistake today, one I know for certain I didn't make and a colleague tried to vouch for me, but was told to stay out it. There was no listening to reason and when I tried to show evidence it wasn't my mistake I was told to change my tone. I feel my tone became strained as I had 2 people shouting and cursing at me, openly and not allowing me to explain myself.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 6,100 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    Nobody said it is ok. What it isn't is unlawful. They want to run their business like this, they can. It isn't fair, but life isn't. Get another job. This one isn't going to work out. And you'll be better off away from this employer.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 29,965 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    I just don't see how this is anyway ok. I was accused of making a mistake today, one I know for certain I didn't make and a colleague tried to vouch for me, but was told to stay out it. There was no listening to reason and when I tried to show evidence it wasn't my mistake I was told to change my tone. I feel my tone became strained as I had 2 people shouting and cursing at me, openly and not allowing me to explain myself.
    As mentioned it does sound like your definitely better off out there, I hope you find something else soon.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 7th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    There was no listening to reason and when I tried to show evidence it wasn't my mistake I was told to change my tone. I feel my tone became strained as I had 2 people shouting and cursing at me, openly and not allowing me to explain myself.
    My heart goes out to you.

In future just ask for your signed training plan or suggest it, (it's gets around the whole tone issue) if it gets on their wick so be it. Least it may speed up the end for you.

It's one of the reasons why I took on a temporary job, (after jumping from the fat to the fire more then once, trust me) in case I didn't gel, I can see the end, the diary is also the count down.

I can see why you might be hesitant to give up the job if you are getting on with colleagues but I don't think it's possible to have it all.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 4,754 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    the supervisor was getting into hot water he decided to bring up I'd been doing this continuously.
    Where was his supervision if this has allegedly been on-going with his knowledge?
    • dk5294
    • By dk5294 7th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    dk5294
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    Thank you for your advice. I am looking for another job but need one to pay the bills before I can leave.

Supposedly he just decided to let it go and rectify the on going issue himself instead of bringing it back to my attention, but now it's become an issue again because clients are making demands on him which he doesn't have the resources for and my mistakes on top of this have made him "reach boiling point".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,126Posts Today

6,185Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin