Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • N0rthern1
    • By N0rthern1 7th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    N0rthern1
    Parking notice on free car park
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    Parking notice on free car park 7th Sep 17 at 7:34 PM
    HI

So I'm not sure if to defend this or not. Never really done anything like this.
    I got a Penalty notice for going 13 minutes over in a free car park for a retail area on Churchil Way, Leyland. This happened on a Sunday evening

Any way, I got a ticket delivered to my house around 1 week later for this from ParkingEye. It stated the usual 100 or 60 if paid before a certain date.

I then left in July for work abroad (and I'm still here until November 11th). I had an emergency at home for my Partner returned to another letter from the ParkingEye company, as well as a county court claim form which arrived today. Which now the charges have risen to 175 with fees.

Now I'm not sure this is considered a "fair" cost for a free car park during a time when all of the retail stores were closed.

I didn't see any of the signs going in to be honest noting this. I have not contacted anyone about this due to being away from July and I only moved into the home 6 months prior (and was away from home 4 months of that also) so I was a little behind on the mail.

I don't just want to roll over and give these people my hard earned money for something so small. But do I have a choice?
    Last edited by N0rthern1; 08-09-2017 at 9:31 AM.
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 7th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    • 7,766 Posts
    • 7,866 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    Start by reading the Newbies Sticky carefully This will inform you on the nature of PPCs and lay out your options for seeing them off.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    • 51,504 Posts
    • 65,102 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    county court claim form which arrived today.
    See post #2 of the NEWBIES thread, do the AOS online, which extends the time to defend, then show us your defence (not written about nappies). A defence is like the examples in the sticky thread and is not the story of what happened, nor excuses about not wanting to pay. You will see when you read a few example defences.

We do win 99% of the time and your hearing will be later than mid-November. And you will get the chance in the next stage, N180 (DQ form), to state the dates your can't attend your local court (it's not at Northampton).

Worth fighting because guess how much you pay if you lose? Same amount, more or less, no solicitor's huge costs. And often, ParkingEye field a legal rep who has no Rights of Audience (search the forum for that, too) which gives you scope to stop them speaking at all...
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 07-09-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• N0rthern1
    • By N0rthern1 8th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    N0rthern1
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    HI. Thanks for the reply. I did the AOS online yesterday and have been reading through the threads so I will put something together and send it for review.

This seems scandalous. I'm not sure how this is even legal. But alas, such is the world. I will fight though. If they want my money, they will have to earn it.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 33,240 Posts
    • 17,180 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

Edit your op to remove details of who was driving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,834Posts Today

9,553Users online

Martin's Twitter