Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J B
    • By J B 7th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,335Posts
    • 748Thanks
    J B
    Powerline adapter stopped working
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    Powerline adapter stopped working 7th Sep 17 at 7:02 PM
    My friends have a Cisco Linksys PLW400 in the house that worked fine till yesterday lunchtime!
    In the office they have an ON Networks 'sender' (can't find the model number, sorry)

Anyway, yesterday morning they used Facetime to speak to their daughter but since then it won't work.

I took the Cisco across to the office, pressed the reset on both devices and it worked fine in the office. Unplugged it and took it over to the house but it won't connect.
    On my phone it just says 'looking for IP address' (I think) but nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 7,731 Posts
    • 5,519 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    I haven't used poweline adaptors, but I've used similar network devices (repeaters, APs, bridges, etc.).

The difficulty I've had in connecting them to the network always seems to be related to DHCP-assigned IP addresses, and often the default settings are on a different subnet to the local network.

Reset the adapters, and connect them to a device that is NOT connected to any other network. You should be able to access the configuration settings for the adapter (refer to the manual).

The most important thing is to get both the powerline adaptor and the router on the same subnet. Sidestepping the technical explanation, this almost certainly means that you need to make sure the first three numbers in the IP address are the same. These are usually either 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x.

With networking devices, I usually set them with a static IP address (rather than using DHCP to assign one), and then manually bind the devices MAC address with the IP address on the router.

Hope that helps.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    So your phone stays on "aquiring IP address" ..
    What do other devices do if you try to connect (to rule out the phone being the issue)

Advice from Linksys here :-
    http://is6.nohold.net/Linksys/GetArticle.aspx?docid=4869d2d930504dd79105c519faa7 a88f_KB_EN_v1.xml&pid=80&converted=0
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • J B
    • By J B 7th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    J B
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    So your phone stays on "aquiring IP address" ..
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Actually, just checked, it was "obtaining IP address" but then nothing!

What do other devices do if you try to connect (to rule out the phone being the issue)
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Didn't check - there are only iDevices there (horrible things! )

Will maybe take my laptop tomorrow

But, why does it work fine in the office, but then when moved to the house, it doesn't?

The link you gave doesn't work.
    Last edited by J B; 07-09-2017 at 9:44 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Sep 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:05 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:05 PM
    Any new electrical devices? How is the office wired to the house (mains wiring)?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 8th Sep 17, 12:15 AM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:15 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:15 AM
    MSE-added-space-removed-from-link...
    http://is6.nohold.net/Linksys/GetArticle.aspx?docid=4869d2d930504dd79105c519faa7 a88f_KB_EN_v1.xml&pid=80&converted=0
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Sep 17, 1:10 AM
    • 7,731 Posts
    • 5,519 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:10 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:10 AM
    But, why does it work fine in the office, but then when moved to the house, it doesn't?
    Originally posted by J B
    Different subnet? IP collision? Conflicting DHCP server?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Sep 17, 1:13 AM
    • 7,731 Posts
    • 5,519 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:13 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:13 AM
    Reset the adapters, and connect them to a device that is NOT connected to any other network.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    ^^ I also meant to say that you should connect using an Ethernet cable, rather than wirelessly.
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    J B
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    Any new electrical devices? How is the office wired to the house (mains wiring)?
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    There is one meter for the property - the office is in a detached building.
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 8th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    According to the PLW400 manual troubleshooting section, there's a bunch of LEDs that show you the status of the network. Do they reveal anything interesting ?

My understanding was that powerline adapters work at the ethernet (mac-address) level, rather than IP, so it shouldn't be anything to do with IP addresses, etc. Though I see the manual does say that IP should already be working before installation. Though the device might also have an IP presence for config, monitoring, etc.

Manual says the adapter has an ethernet socket. Do you have a device you can plug in there to test the powerline connectivity (without relying on the wifi element) ?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Tarambor
    There is one meter for the property - the office is in a detached building.
    Originally posted by J B
    Not really what I was looking for. Plug a Powerline Adapter into an extension lead and you'll see anything from a 50% drop in speed to a no-connection. So how the office is hooked up to the main house wiring is reasonable important. I've seen all kinds of lash up jobs involving outdoor sockets on the back of the house and long mains cable runs to the "shed converted to an office".
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    J B
    Thanks all - I've sort of given up, life's too short

I'm still bemused as to why it has worked fine for 2 years and now won't!

It was fitted/installed by a local TV guy who set up their Sky multi room stuff, but just added this to get 'catch up' TV working.
    We (They) have asked him to come back!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

7,207Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin