Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slowly_getting_there
    • By slowly_getting_there 7th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    slowly_getting_there
    Is it date of account closed or date of default
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    Is it date of account closed or date of default 7th Sep 17 at 6:43 PM
    Hi,

I have been on the phone to the credit reference agencies, the original creditors and the money advice service. None of these can give me a straight answer so I am hoping one of you knowledgeable lot might be able to.

I had accounts default in September 2011. On my credit report it reports this along with a closed account dates of 2015. I believe this is the date I cleared the balance. In the account history section it says D (default) every month from 2011 - 2015.

When will this come off my credit file? Is it 6 years from the original default in or 6 years from the most recent?

I'm am getting conflicting advice. Some say it will all be removed 6 years from the date of default whilst others say it will be 6 years from the date the account closed.

I hope someone can give me a clear answer on this. I am willing to share the report if it helps anyone shed light on this.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    Original default.

End of, as the kids say.
    Last edited by zx81; 07-09-2017 at 6:52 PM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 12,477 Posts
    • 11,867 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    Date of default always.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • slowly_getting_there
    • By slowly_getting_there 7th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    slowly_getting_there
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    Thank you both for the replies.

Hopefully come October's free credit reports these should be gone then ��

Makes it seem pointless ever paying them off (2 years ago) as it made !!!!!! all difference to my credit score.

I have no missed payments for nearly 2 years and will have no defaults so if this doesn't repair my credit file I am totally giving up checking it!!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    Lenders will view you more positively with settle defaults than unsettled, so you did the right thing for your credit file.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin