Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blackcat82
    • By Blackcat82 7th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Blackcat82
    Can they contact me during annual leave?
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    Can they contact me during annual leave? 7th Sep 17 at 5:56 PM
    Hi I work for a company where we all expected to jump whenever they say jump. I don't mind too much as that's the same anywhere in our industry but I am struggling to get a break even during using my toil or annual leave. I had toil today and had constant messages from my boss asking me to contact him about a project he wanted me to cancel toil for...while I was out using it as agreed!

When I ask for annual leave I'm asked if I can take a laptop with me just in case they need me and am told I need to minimum reply to emails for things they need urgent answers too.

Surely it can't be legal to demand that? I'm made to feel if I say no then I am not working as part of the team/committed enough when I work above and beyond the rest of the time and just need to be able to give myself (and my family) a break when on leave. I always leave information on current work projects available to them should they need and give advance notice of my leave.

I've tried googling for any government rules on this but can't find anything to specify it?
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 6,096 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    It's not illegal. And plenty of people do it. I'm not saying you should. I don't think you should. But it's up to you to set the boundaries on your time, not the law.

Take lots of holidays where the email service is rotten. I can recommend Cuba, parts of Central Africa, and the foothills of Nepal. Nigh on impossible to get a signal!
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 7th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    If you're a senior exec with a company that expectation possibly isn't unreasonable. Much lower down the pecking order and I believe it is totally unacceptable. It says more about how poorly the company is run than anything else if they have to contact staff during their time off.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 7th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    Take lots of holidays where the email service is rotten. I can recommend Cuba, parts of Central Africa, and the foothills of Nepal. Nigh on impossible to get a signal!
    Originally posted by sangie595
    Great idea!
    • foolofbeans
    • By foolofbeans 7th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    foolofbeans
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    Also very little (if any) signal in the South West of England, particularly where I am. We see lots of visitors walking around waving their phones in the air in the hope they will see two bars. It does have the positive effect that work can't contact me easily.
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 7th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:38 PM

You don't have to go that far - the Scottish Borders (where I live) would be entirely suitable! I have to say that if it were me I would make sure I didn't switch my mobile or laptop on whilst I was on leave. I wouldn't make a big fuss, I would just be "unavailable due to lack of signal".
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 7th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 5,536 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    It's not illegal. And plenty of mugs do it.
    Fixed.

Illegal? No. Would I work on my leave? Also no. Try not being taken for a mug and you won't be treated like one.
    Pants
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 7th Sep 17, 10:43 PM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:43 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:43 PM
    Sounds like you need to discuss the forming of a standby/call-out rota, with appropriate remuneration.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 7th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    I got sent a 'hangout' yesterday about going in to cover on day off which took me over 4 hours to see as I'm more attached to my iPad then my PAYG mobile. When I saw it it was to late but it did start the whole, do I enjoy my job, got to say.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Sep 17, 11:06 PM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 25,097 Thanks
    andygb
    No way Jose!
    I would never agree to a firm contacting me on holiday.
    I work long hours doing a good job, so I enjoy MY time.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    • 59,894 Posts
    • 350,155 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Get another phone... leave the one the boss knows turned off unless you're on your way to work, or on your way home. Off. In the drawer. Out of sight entirely.

Find activities you can pretend you were doing why you didn't have the phone with you ... I worked with a chap who used to holiday in ski resorts doing "avalanche training" where they were effectively learning skills on survival if you were buried when skiing.

Closer to home... scuba diving, water polo, general swimming .... anything water based if you feel you have to build a web of lies.

You are called because you are available. Once they get the hang of the fact it's hard to get hold of you .... they'll start bothering other people.

Also - it might be that a lot of the time they don't expect to get hold of you, but to leave a message so they don't forget they want to ask you something ... but as you answer you're sucked in.

Just turn the phone off...
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    If you're a senior exec with a company that expectation possibly isn't unreasonable. Much lower down the pecking order and I believe it is totally unacceptable. It says more about how poorly the company is run than anything else if they have to contact staff during their time off.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01

I agree with this post and the post from andygb. When you're on leave, you're on leave. The employer needs better systems in place.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 8th Sep 17, 12:22 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    leslieknope
    you don't even have to go to scotland for poor signal - i have no service in certain parts of my local shopping centre

surprisingly, however, i had perfect signal on a desert safari in dubai...
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 8th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    you don't even have to go to scotland for poor signal - i have no service in certain parts of my local shopping centre
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    Same when I worked on the outskirts of Bristol. A number of people used to go to the same one at lunchtime because they knew they would get a break without constant phone calls.
    The problem raised by the OP is a common one. I was one of 9 IT team leaders for a large corporate at one point in my career. There was one other team leader who bragged about the fact that he always took his mobile and laptop with him wherever he went, even when on leave. He thought it made him seem dedicated, the rest of us including our boss just saw him as a ****head. He was also the worst for training up his deputy because he seemed to fear that if he did he would put his own position at risk. I saw it as exactly the opposite - by not ensuring cover he was putting the business at risk and thereby his own job.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 8th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 16,907 Posts
    • 27,460 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Go on a cruise - no wifi unless you pay lots for it. Hardly any phone signal either
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin