Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkslash
    • By pinkslash 7th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    pinkslash
    Company relocating to London
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    Company relocating to London 7th Sep 17 at 5:50 PM
    Hi

I was hoping for some advice please. The company I currently work for are about to relocate to London, and I have been asked to go with them. My current salary is £26,000 and I work as a executive assistant for the CEO.

How much do you think I could expect to receive in a salary rise? Average salaries in London for my position is around 34-37k. I have no idea whether this would be a feasible increase or if I'm just dreaming!!

UPDATE: the company I work for is very new, with myself being one of their first ever employees. I have been with them for 4 months and we are based in Cheltenham.

Any help would be great!
    Last edited by pinkslash; 07-09-2017 at 7:17 PM.
Page 2
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 15,301 Posts
    • 38,406 Thanks
    elsien
    I dont get it, if its just a 20 - 25 min travel to work in london (with traffic) then you dont need to rent/buy in london, unless you want to live there.

The only real increase will be your train ticket or petrol. You can bring lunch in from home so you dont even have to buy food in London.

So looking at that, you asking for a pay rise has nothing to do with living costs (like londoners) but is more to do with what people get in London.

You can ask, you may get lucky but there is no real reason for your company to pay more, i think they may have taken your current location into consideration when asking you to join them.
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    The OPs current commute to work in Cheltenham is 25 minutes. It would take rather longer to get to London from where they are now and cost a lot more.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 10th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Yep, i read the commute bit wrong.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 30,307 Posts
    • 18,124 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Where in London it's a big place?

Some options will have good accommodation close with good life choice facilities others could require travelling to live somewhere nice.

Why are they moving costs will rocket.

Cities are not for everyone but of relatively flexible with the ability to give it a go it can be a great experience and opportunity to progress a career.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 11th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    Which part of London? Without knowing that nobody can advise.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 11th Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    The reality is that not all jobs pay more money just because they're in London despite the cost of living.

London weighting is around £4-6k in those jobs which do it so may be a bit optimistic to get £8k-£11k more but you never know.

I don't know what Cheltenham is like, but generally when you move to London you have to accept you'll pay more money for inferior accommodation.

If you're happy to live in a one bed flat in an outer borough it may not cost too much more. When I first moved here, I went from a decent sized house to a one bed flat for £180 a month more, so only really needed an extra £3k or so to take care of that. I do recall a colleague at the time living in a studio flat in Bloomsbury who was paying almost twice a month as me in rent.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 3,069 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    What is feasible is whatever they would have to pay to get somebody of your experience to replace you. If that's £35K, and they know you and like your work, then they would be idiots not to pay you £35K rather than take on somebody unknown for the same money.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 12th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    It's true that going rates for *central* London are higher, but once you're outside the zone 1 bubble, pay seems to plummet almost to the level of what it is outside London, so it really does depend on where in London they are moving to.

Obviously it's still worth asking for more money wherever they're moving to, but just don't want you to have the impression that *all* of London is highly paid.

This is not really to do with your question, but I'm curious as to why they're moving to London - is it a business reason?
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 12th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    I believe in being prepared but I think but I think you're jumping the gun a bit - you need to ask your employer:-
    1) will you and your position be part of the move to London
    2) if so, what will be the salary, conditions etc.
    No one can really assist until you have these answers other than to say it will be more expensive to live in London
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 12th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    A quick google found some advice:

https://www.unison.org.uk/content/uploads/2017/04/London-allowances-May.pdf

We've historically paid roughly 10% more for people at our London site but we don't really have a weighting anymore.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter