Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkslash
    • By pinkslash 7th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    pinkslash
    Company relocating to London
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    Company relocating to London 7th Sep 17 at 5:50 PM
    Hi

I was hoping for some advice please. The company I currently work for are about to relocate to London, and I have been asked to go with them. My current salary is £26,000 and I work as a executive assistant for the CEO.

How much do you think I could expect to receive in a salary rise? Average salaries in London for my position is around 34-37k. I have no idea whether this would be a feasible increase or if I'm just dreaming!!

UPDATE: the company I work for is very new, with myself being one of their first ever employees. I have been with them for 4 months and we are based in Cheltenham.

Any help would be great!
    Last edited by pinkslash; 07-09-2017 at 7:17 PM.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 7th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 3,409 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    It would be helpful to know where you live now, and how long you have been with the company.

Candidates for your role would be in plentiful supply in London. It's unlikely you'd be offered a relocation package.
    • pinkslash
    • By pinkslash 7th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pinkslash
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    I have been with them for 4 months, as they are a new company. We are currently based in Cheltenham.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 7th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 3,409 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    I have been with them for 4 months, as they are a new company. We are currently based in Cheltenham.
    Originally posted by pinkslash
    I would be very surprised if they offered you a relocation package with 4 months service.

You should ask, but be prepared to be told no.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 7th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 18,783 Posts
    • 19,085 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    I agree, but I also think the situation is rather different when someone has been at a startup right from (or close to) the start. They might well want to retain someone in that circumstance.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • pinkslash
    • By pinkslash 7th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pinkslash
    To be honest I didn't really expect a relocation package as I said before, I got the general idea this is for higher management and execs.
    It's more about whether I would get an increase in salary and how much that would probably be. My concern is that if I'm kept on 26k then I won't be able to afford to live in London.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 7th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    If you have only worked there for 4 months and they are about to move to London, surely they must have known that when they hired you?

Did they not say anything about it at your interview?
    • pinkslash
    • By pinkslash 7th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pinkslash
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    If you have only worked there for 4 months and they are about to move to London, surely they must have known that when they hired you?

Did they not say anything about it at your interview?
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Nope I wasn't told about the move.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 7th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,374 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    Just ask them - there's no way anyone on here can do anything other than speculate.

If you fancy moving to London, tell them you're up for it but that you would only be able to do it if they increased your salary, and is there any chance of some help with the cost of moving. You could be cheeky and suggest they promote you while they're at it. You have nothing to lose.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 7th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    steampowered
    Living costs are extremely high in London.

I am a Londoner. I am not sure you would be able to have the same quality of life in London on £34-37k that you would have in Cheltenham on £26k.

The big cost is housing. The cost of housing in London is astronomical. A quick google search indicates that London rents are 58% higher than Cheltenham rents.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 7th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    NeilCr

I am a Londoner. I am not sure you would be able to have the same quality of life in London on £34-37k that you would have in Cheltenham on £26k.

The big cost is housing. The cost of housing in London is astronomical. A quick google search indicates that London rents are 58% higher than Cheltenham rents.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    Commuting costs too?

You will have to take those into account. I don't know how close you are to the office in Cheltenham now
    • pinkslash
    • By pinkslash 7th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pinkslash
    Commuting costs too?

You will have to take those into account. I don't know how close you are to the office in Cheltenham now
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    My commute, if you want to go as far as even calling it a commute is about 20-25 minutes with traffic. So not far at all!
    • pinkslash
    • By pinkslash 7th Sep 17, 7:19 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pinkslash

This is what I'm worried about, if I don't get a pay increase at all I'm not going to be able to afford to move at all. It literally will not be possible to live in London on 26k - but I just don't know if I'm 'entitled' to a pay rise.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 7th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    steampowered
    You aren't entitled to a pay rise, no.

However it is worth asking. The company would have to pay a higher salary to recruit a replacement in London anyway.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 7th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 7,438 Thanks
    Gavin83
    You aren't entitled to a pay rise, no.

However it is worth asking. The company would have to pay a higher salary to recruit a replacement in London anyway.
    This. If they like you they'll pay to keep you and they'll be well aware that salaries in London are a lot higher, they can't seriously expect you to remain on the same salary.

Do you actually want to move to London? If you do this is a great opportunity, if not you might be better looking for another job.
    • pinkslash
    • By pinkslash 7th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pinkslash
    This. If they like you they'll pay to keep you and they'll be well aware that salaries in London are a lot higher, they can't seriously expect you to remain on the same salary.

Do you actually want to move to London? If you do this is a great opportunity, if not you might be better looking for another job.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    They've openly told me they're super happy with the work I do and personally I really enjoy working there and definitely wouldn't proactively want to leave. I don't mind moving to London at all, but I just don't want to move and struggle. As much as I love my job, I don't think a job is worth being broke for.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not looking for a pay rise to live the high life. I just want to make sure I have enough for rent and to pay the bills really.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 7th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    My first step would be to compare accommodation costs plus commuting costs in London with your current costs. A nett increase in pay to cover those costs would be an absolute minimum I would want as a pay increase to even consider moving with them.
    From a purely personal point of view, I wouldn't want to work in London. In fact I was contacted many years ago about a job in London and turned it down flat. I used to travel to London on a regular basis through work and couldn't imagine anywhere worse to live and work. As I say, a purely personal view, and I live in the same area as the OP currently.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,868 Thanks
    another casualty
    Having been born in London and worked there all of my life, I decided to leave there for good in November last year . It is overcrowded etc.
    I'm trying not to sound cliched like a lot of people who despise London
    However, the sh@@ty (sorry I mean the city ) of London is an absolute dump. Roadworks/ building works and diversions for the last 2 years drove me crazy . I used to like working in Holborn and the west end . A lot of it depends on where the company you work for are based , and the possibility of moving to the cheapest places .
    I worked in the Aldgate and detested it .

Renting in London is very expensive . The Oyster card is excellent imho. If you can get a season ticket.

TBH , I wouldn't take less than £35k for the responsible job you do.
    You obviously have to thrash things out now rather than later.
    If it doesn't work out , then quit on good terms and hopefully you'll find something just as good closer to home .
    Best of luck
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 30,263 Posts
    • 18,094 Thanks
    getmore4less
    THey will have been thinking about the costs as they will have the same issues themselves.

ASK, what are they offering and you will get back to them once you have researched the costs of moving.

as a new company are they offering more than just salary, any share options or other incentives.

if you believe the place can be successful and grow do you want to be part of that or just an employee.

With a growing company there are lots of opportunities for the support roles.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 10th Sep 17, 1:02 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    I dont get it, if its just a 20 - 25 min travel to work in london (with traffic) then you dont need to rent/buy in london, unless you want to live there.

The only real increase will be your train ticket or petrol. You can bring lunch in from home so you dont even have to buy food in London.

So looking at that, you asking for a pay rise has nothing to do with living costs (like londoners) but is more to do with what people get in London.

You can ask, you may get lucky but there is no real reason for your company to pay more, i think they may have taken your current location into consideration when asking you to join them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,235Posts Today

7,344Users online

Martin's Twitter