Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fefee
    • By Fefee 7th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Fefee
    Wanting to Move home but giving up on a great career
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    Wanting to Move home but giving up on a great career 7th Sep 17 at 5:44 PM
    Hi, ive got a big decision to make and hoping to try and do the best outcome from me and family.
    Heres a bit of info
    I live in Oxfordshire with my husband and 2 year old. We are both originally from Ireland and have lived in England for 6year and my hubby 15years . Hubby works for F1 . Im a nanny and baby massage instructor .
    Recently I have been really desperate to move home . Biggest reason is that im a very sociable .person . I love going out with friends which for what ever reason we dont have much of in Oxfordshire just makes life so dull and boring. We have some of course but not like the friends we have in Ireland who we have a close relationship for years. Another thing is I miss my families , my sister has 3 kids who adore my son and we can take turns babysitting for the odd night out . We have no help in England .
    We have made 150k on our home in England and could put down on a home in N.ireland but hubby would take a massive pay cut as he would work as a mechanic . So even though our mortgage would be low u still have bills , holidays , food etc and worried we would struggle. Is putting the 150k the best investment or should we invest in a property to rent out and live off the income ?
Page 3
    • ManicRower
    • By ManicRower 8th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    ManicRower
    Full disclosure - I am a husband whose job often takes me away from my wife. I'm also an F1 fan.

I think this is much more relevant to a relationships board, and my personal opinion is that you really need to talk to your husband about this. You are saying that you have already made compromises (and you have) by living in Oxfordshire, however I am sure he will feel like he has also made compromises by not being on the race team and 'just' working in the F1 factory.

A rather simplistic analogy - being on an F1 race team is like working at a Michelin starred restaurant, working in the factory is slight step below that and I would imagine being a bog standard mechanic would be like working in a local chippy in comparison! His enjoyment and motivation will suffer.

I wonder if there is a compromise to be had where if you really really REALLY want to move back to NI, your husband could rejoin the race team?
    • Fefee
    • By Fefee 8th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Fefee
    I don't need to go to realtionship forum , I don't need to have advice on my relationship. Im happily married , Hubby has a mind of his own and he didn't want to give up F1 he would say so but hes telling me "yes I want to go home.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 8th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 5,265 Thanks
    catshark88
    I thought that where you lived was so wonderful that everyone wanted to live there and houses sold v fast?????
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 8th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    ProDave
    Reading the replies to this thread it is just like what everyone said to me when we moved from Oxfordshire to the Highlands. We did it, it was the best move we made, had no regrets and would not go back.

In our case it was my wife who suggested it and I was more than happy to make the move.

The only valid thing that has been raised is to make sure BOTH of you really want to make the move. If the answer is yes, then ignore all the nay sayers, and start making the preparations.

Best of luck whatever you choose.
    • Fefee
    • By Fefee 8th Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Fefee
    Thanks pro dave , u been really helpful
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 7,239 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I don't need to go to realtionship forum , I don't need to have advice on my relationship. Im happily married , Hubby has a mind of his own and he didn't want to give up F1 he would say so but hes telling me "yes I want to go home.
    Originally posted by Fefee
    Then all the preamble to your post was irrelevant and all you needed to ask was

We have made 150k on our home in England and could put down on a home in N.ireland but hubby would take a massive pay cut. So even though our mortgage would be low u still have bills , holidays , food etc and worried we would struggle. Is putting the 150k ?as deposit?the best investment or should we invest in a property to rent out and live off the income ?
    Everything else was noise.

So, answering just the relevant question, id say that you might not even make a profit on the house you put up for rent (the mortgage rate will rise, there are a lot of costs, not to mention risks) and being a landlord of a distant property would increase the hassle and cost and risks.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 08-09-2017 at 5:21 PM.
    • Fefee
    • By Fefee 8th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Fefee
    Thanks I putting 150k down on a home is probably a better choice but just wanted to make sure if anyone else thought different.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,672Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin