Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maggiesoup1
    • By maggiesoup1 7th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 138Posts
    • 405Thanks
    maggiesoup1
    First real job and he's bored !
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    First real job and he's bored ! 7th Sep 17 at 5:44 PM
    Son managed to secure a "runner" job (basically office junior) with a big company. Most of the staff are young and he really likes them but one month into the job he says it's driving him crazy as there's so little to do. Maybe they've had "slow" runners previously as he seems to get through his work by lunchtime each day. I've advised him to speak to his line manager, maybe if they are aware he could do more they will give him more to do but can anyone suggest anything else? It's in an industry he doesn't really want to be in (gaming) but they are a world known name and feels it would look good on his CV. I know he's aware that I would be hacked off if he packs it in so soon but should I have the opinion that life's too short to be unhappy/bored or encourage him to stick with them for at least 6 months to get some experience on his CV despite being bored. He's trying to get into the film industry (has been trying to get work for the last 2 years to no avail) so it's not going to be easy getting another job. He's more than capable of running his own life, but just looking for opinions from parents out there. Thanks!
    Last edited by maggiesoup1; 07-09-2017 at 5:48 PM.
Page 2
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 8th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    Tell him to learn to lick a lot of 4rse.... and "be nosey" and tell people they're awesome - and to ask lots of questions.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Some people do not like licking 4rse to get where they want to be in a job. And some people do not appreciate people who do that.

There is nothing wrong with being a bit less *involved* whilst still demonstrating some of the more admirable traits you highlighted in your post.

Anyone who has ever tried to like my 4rse has ended up with a bitter taste in their mouth, and in a position consistent with the material in their mouth.
    • maggiesoup1
    • By maggiesoup1 9th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    maggiesoup1
    I think I saw their website a while ago but not sure if he's registered with them. I don't use Twitter but I'm guessing he will. Thanks for the suggestion.
    • maggiesoup1
    • By maggiesoup1 9th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    maggiesoup1
    Thanks Mojisola for being positive about son's abilities !!! Yes, of course I'm against him packing in the job and I will stress that he can't do it (if he's living at home) until he's got another job to go to but all I'm asking for is tips on how he can get busier or make a day a bit more satisfying. Thanks to all who contributed though
    Last edited by maggiesoup1; 09-09-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    • maggiesoup1
    • By maggiesoup1 9th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    maggiesoup1
    Thanks Beartricks, what a fantastic reply. It really is an eye opener and an insight into the business. Absolutely confirmed to me that he can't just pack it in and go back to 1 or 2 day film runner jobs. THANKYOU for taking the time to post this.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Can he fill his weekends with the film runner roles as I bet that's when a lot of them happen
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 36.5lbs lost 47.5lbs to go.
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 10 weeks in -28.5lbs
    3/9 to NYE 2.5lbs down / 12.5lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 11th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    A friend of the family, who has awesome skills, is still doing a side job while waiting for his break in film or tv - and we are talking behind the scenes technical. He has an amazing eye, goes to three classes a week to learn more and has worked on his reputation for years. He also has been to uni on a part time course in his chosen field while doing on site work too.

The down side to the industry is you don't get paid till your made. He's been working hard, mainly for free, for three years with serious skills and work behind him. He is making a name for himself and is now getting invites to do work and get paid.

This being said the bills need paying so he had a side job (a night one) so he could go to classes or sit on set during the day.

It takes that level of dedication - has your son got the drive? if he does he know what area he wants to work in? just a runner or pick up a skilled area? he needs a plan - and if he hasn't got one already and passionately working towards it he's not going to make it as it needs that level of dedication and drive just to break in.

Not being negative, people do make it and as your son is young and passionate - so I wish him the best of luck!
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • phillw
    • By phillw 11th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    phillw
    Some companies don't put too much pressure on their young hires, to see whether they make the work last or whether they go looking for more.

Just identify the tired miserable people who have more work to do than time to do it & ask if there is anything you can help with.

Office politics can sometimes cause problems. But he's so young that the reward is certainly bigger than the risk.
    After he's helped someone then it's always worth running it past his boss that he bumped into someone who needed some help and he thought it would be better for the company, is it ok...
    Last edited by phillw; 11-09-2017 at 9:05 AM.
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 11th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    Stick it out and look for something else in the mean time, and ask a manager if there are other opportunities. You never know, he could end up with a different job in the same company.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin