Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samuelkelsey
    • By samuelkelsey 7th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    samuelkelsey
    Overpayment Query
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    Overpayment Query 7th Sep 17 at 5:30 PM
    Hi Guys,

Hoping for some advice around over payment, I currently work as a project manager (full time perm contract) for a local authority, I also have a 2nd job with the council working in their out of hours call center (part time perm contract).

I handed in my notice for my 2nd job in May and gave notice so I was no longer contracted but still work there on a casual / zero hours contract (apologies if this sounds super confusing). The long and short of it is that i'm still being paid my part time contract (4 months now) ive notified my manager in my 2nd job multiple times as well as finance and payroll directly but they still keep paying me!

If the situation persists i'm going to have been overpaid circa £1600 (pre tax) at the end of sept. I've stashed the money away as I know they'll want it back eventually.

I'm more worried about the tax implications and my student loan repayments which only has 2 payments remaining. Any advice would be great!!

Thanks

Sam
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 4,065 Posts
    • 6,596 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    Don't contact payroll. In most local authorities that is like dropping a cup of water in a well. Email the Head of Finance (they're sometimes called head of resources or some such thing). Tell them what had happened and ask for it to be sorted out. You are right. They'll work it out eventually and you need to sort it. Your pension will also be affected. The sooner it is sorted then easier it is.
    • samuelkelsey
    • By samuelkelsey 7th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    samuelkelsey
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    Yeah I want to get it sorted, I should've elaborated on the original question. What happens to all the tax, NI, pension and student loan payments? Will I have to repay the full gross amount back and claim everything back at year end, or just will I just have to pay the net sum after deductions?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

693Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin