Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rodders2409
    • By Rodders2409 7th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Rodders2409
    Life's swerve ball - need to plan differently!
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    Life's swerve ball - need to plan differently! 7th Sep 17 at 5:19 PM
    Hello All,

I've not posted before but need to get some basic advice ahead of probably enlisting an IFA in the coming months.

To cut a long story short my better half is going to face some medical / life challenges in the coming years (PD) and we need to plan accordingly, so this is a first stab!....any and all advice very welcome.

Really want to know if I'm way out in thinking I can retire at 60, with the following parameters...

Me
    50 yrs / M / Born 1966
    Employed

Her
    57 / F / 1960
    Housewife...oldskool ..
    Zero income

We have zero mortgage and no other borrowings

My pensions
    Aegon - current company pension £169,341...only active one.
    Friends Life 1 £66,998
    Friends Life 2 £4,529
    Friends Life Managed fund £14,341
    Total pension pot (to date) £255K

Missus' pension
    Prudential - £27,573...no contributions for >15 yrs

I have recently increased my personal contributions, in anticipation, to £1167 p/m excluding tax relief, and the company pay £205 pm into the same scheme.

I have a property which I rent out and get £7000 p/a net of all costs...and am looking to get this put into my other half's name if it's tax beneficial. This would form quite a big part of our pension plans I guess.

We aren't big spenders and have worked out, based on 2 years of trawling through statements etc, that we could fairly comfortably live on £28K pa.

Question is ...is that possible if I retire at 60?

Thanks to all who read this!
Page 5
    • Rodders2409
    • By Rodders2409 11th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Rodders2409
    Don't know what to say :-)

Do I book some vacation and lock myself away to do this justice?

What's certain is that you've left yourself wide open to more questions....be scared..!!

But many thanks James..
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 11th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 9,629 Posts
    • 6,384 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    now I just need to pull the rip cord!!!
    Originally posted by k6chris
    Remember to jump out of the plane first.
    • k6chris
    • By k6chris 12th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    k6chris
    Don't know what to say :-)

Do I book some vacation and lock myself away to do this justice?

What's certain is that you've left yourself wide open to more questions....be scared..!!

But many thanks James..
    Originally posted by Rodders2409
    You can both retire, or rather make a lifestyle adjustment! Start off slowly and don't go on a mad spending spree. Re-read all the thoughts here are make a list about what needs to be done in what order. Monitor your spending against your funds (= huge spreadsheet - yeay!). Smile, Enjoy, repeat.

Good luck!
    EatingSoup
    • Rodders2409
    • By Rodders2409 13th Sep 17, 8:28 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Rodders2409
    Many, many thanks to all who've helped thus far, It's made me do a 180 on my thinking, so I'm so glad I started the thread.

I'll go through the info in more detail over the coming weekend and will certainly come back with a few questions, I see Excel will get some time with me too..!

Not sure if I should start a new thread when I do, or keep this one going....and suggestions welcome on this.

Regards to all...!!
  • jamesd
    Same one, easier to keep track of things.

There's also scope to wonder whether a smaller home and/or cheaper area might be useful. Low or lower housing costs are one of the secrets of early financial independence. Children around home leaving age and you still young is a good time.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 14th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Mnd
    Good luck on your weekend thinking. I bet you wake up at 2.30 thinking about tax relief, safe drawdown rates, salsac. But you have had loads of good info and advice so as you get to grips with it little by little you will come to see that all your plans and dreams are achievable. I wish you well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,300Posts Today

9,285Users online

Martin's Twitter