Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • judy2357
    • By judy2357 7th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 3,665Posts
    • 24,020Thanks
    judy2357
    0 WOW
    London travel advice please
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    0 WOW
    London travel advice please 7th Sep 17 at 5:12 PM
    My partner and I are arriving at Paddington around 12.20 ish on Saturday, we are travelling to the Intercontinental O2 hotel but would like to visit National History museum en route. Just wondered how feasible this is as we are thinking to travel up the river via Westminster on a cruiser. Therefore would like your thoughts on the easiest way to travel from Paddington to museum and then the museum to Westminster pier, bearing in mind we will be dragging two suitcases. Thank you in advance for any help.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 11,181 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    Personally I would ditch the cases and check-in asap.

Assuming you are coming up from Cornwall you will have had a long journey and will be grateful of a freshen up and losing the luggage.
    • judy2357
    • By judy2357 7th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 3,665 Posts
    • 24,020 Thanks
    judy2357
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    Personally I would ditch the cases and check-in asap.

Assuming you are coming up from Cornwall you will have had a long journey and will be grateful of a freshen up and losing the luggage.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I think you may be right, seems to involve either too much walking, or too many changes of transport.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 7th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 9,419 Posts
    • 8,977 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    The Natural History museum is in the opposite direction to the O2, so you'll be doing extra mileage with the cases.

Paddington - South Kensington for the museums on the Circle line is quite easy, though it's a fair walk from the station to the museums.

Then you'll need to come back to say, Westminster Pier to pick up the boats to Greenwich. The boats run every 15 mins, and it takes 35-45 mins.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • tho
    • By tho 7th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    tho
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    You'll also have a nightmare trying to get in a museum with cases. Definitely say check in first.
    • judy2357
    • By judy2357 7th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 3,665 Posts
    • 24,020 Thanks
    judy2357
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    We have made a decision to leave the museum for another visit when we can visit them all and other sights in that area. So the plan is to catch the tube to Baker Street on the Bakerloo Line, then another on the Jubilee Line to Westminster and finally walk to Westminster pier to catch a cruiseboat.

So my next question is where do we get off the boat, Greenwich Village or is it possible to travel to another pier in walking distance of the hotel. Thank you.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 7th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 9,419 Posts
    • 8,977 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    You could get the Bakerloo line all the way to Embankment, and pick up the boat from there.

There is a pier at the O2, which is not far from the hotel.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • judy2357
    • By judy2357 7th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 3,665 Posts
    • 24,020 Thanks
    judy2357
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    You could get the Bakerloo line all the way to Embankment, and pick up the boat from there.

There is a pier at the O2, which is not far from the hotel.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Yes thats an idea thank you, we would like to see as many sights as possible on our way especially as my partner hasn't visited the capital for 45ish years.

On researching the stations it seems that Embankment Station does not have many lifts so might have to keep to Westminster because of the cases. Thank you for the suggestion though.
    Last edited by judy2357; 07-09-2017 at 7:34 PM.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 8th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 4,048 Thanks
    martindow
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    I would take the tube to North Greenwich to get rid of your cases as soon as possible. You don't really want to complicate the journey by adding changes. Enjoy the boat later without luggage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

5,077Users online

Martin's Twitter