Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markimark1984
    • By markimark1984 7th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 7Thanks
    markimark1984
    Joint Barclays Basic Account and Credit File
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    Joint Barclays Basic Account and Credit File 7th Sep 17 at 5:12 PM
    HI all,

My partner and I would like a joint account for ease of sorting our bills etc.

My partner has a bad credit report and score

I am aware from advice from other users of this site that having a standard joint account could harm my credit rating if I was connected financially with him.

I spoke to Barclays and they recommended their basic account which has no cheque book and no overdraft, but we could organise direct debits etc which is perfect. They said that this account wouldn't connect us at a financial level and my credit rating wouldn't be affected.

Does anyone else have any experience here who could possibly tell me if this is the correct account to go for or possible recommend something else?

Thanks!

M
    Last edited by markimark1984; 07-09-2017 at 5:18 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 11,451 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    Basic accounts don't allow any borrowing, and are not credit checked.

The balance is always reported as zero.

Theirs would be the right account I believe, yes.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • markimark1984
    • By markimark1984 11th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    markimark1984
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    Thanks for your reply!

I went in to barclays to ask how to open one and they said they cannot directly offer me that product. It's only offered if a normal account can't be opened.

They said they understood exactly why I was doing it and recommended that I don't try to open one as my good credit score would more than likely mean that we would be offered the normal account immediately and then we would be linked financially! This is getting quite confusing!

Does anyone know of any other banks that offer a basic account that allows 2 people who won't be linked by credit?

Thanks in advance. Mark
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 29,969 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    Thanks for your reply!

I went in to barclays to ask how to open one and they said they cannot directly offer me that product. It's only offered if a normal account can't be opened.

They said they understood exactly why I was doing it and recommended that I don't try to open one as my good credit score would more than likely mean that we would be offered the normal account immediately and then we would be linked financially! This is getting quite confusing!

Does anyone know of any other banks that offer a basic account that allows 2 people who won't be linked by credit?

Thanks in advance. Mark
    Originally posted by markimark1984
    when they mentioned credit score they mean credit history, lenders, banks etc don't see the score, they only see the history.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,739Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter