Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 7th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 32Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Energy users are put off switching because they haven't heard of the...
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    MSE News: Energy users are put off switching because they haven't heard of the... 7th Sep 17 at 4:59 PM
    Not knowing whether the cheapest energy firms are "any good" is the most common reason householders are reluctant to switch energy, according to a poll of 3,500 MoneySavers....
    Read the full story:
    'Energy users are put off switching because they haven't heard of the cheapest firms, MSE poll finds'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • slugslime
    • By slugslime 10th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    slugslime
    Switch Energy Supplier
    I have lived in my house for over 15 years. In that time I have switched energy suppliers at least 7 times. Why? To save money! I was with GB Energy which went out of business. Was I worried? Of course not as I know Ofgem would sort it out and Co-op Energy came to the rescue honouring my fixed deal with GB. That is now coming to an end so I have just switched to Tonik Energy. Why? A cheaper tariff plus they offer 3% on credit balances- better than most savings accounts! There are also no exit fees so if I am not happy I can leave without a penalty. Don't be put off by the lesser known companies- the big 6 rely on complacency. Do a comparison through MSE (it takes just a few minutes) and you will me amazed at the savings.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 11th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    phillw
    I personally, research any of the smaller unknown companies, and i certainly wouldn't use a company with little information available or with a director who has owned previous companies which have gone into liquidation, for instance.

Conversely, maybe for the uninitiated, maybe you would see a company you haven't heard of offering a low price and be tempted to use that company surely, if you are influenced solely by price?
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    What else are you influenced on? How do you quantify that when comparing?

What effect do you think a directors previous job will have on you?

How much extra money are you prepared to pay for the knowledge that a director hasn't previously been a director of a company that has gone bankrupt?

We need an energy competition framework where there's a measurable service metric, audited by mystery shoppers, and where below standard companies lose their license to supply energy.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    We would have zero energy suppliers at the end of that. I have had problems with eon, npower & british gas. None so far with iresa.
    Last edited by phillw; 11-09-2017 at 8:34 AM.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 2,320 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . I was with GB Energy which went out of business. Was I worried? Of course not as I know Ofgem would sort it out and Co-op Energy came to the rescue honouring my fixed deal with GB. . .
    Originally posted by slugslime
    I think, perhaps, that GB Energy customers were quite lucky.

There is no guarantee that the customers of failed energy companies will keep either their tariff rates or credit balances with a supplier of last resort in the future. If, as predicted, there are more small-supplier failures in the pipeline, I don't anticipate any rush by, say, the big six to pick them up on the bargain-basement terms the smaller suppliers are offering.

My suggestion would be to proceed with caution if considering a smaller supplier.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

4,005Users online

Martin's Twitter