Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daxu
    • By daxu 7th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 14Thanks
    daxu
    what will happen if a foreigner ignores a UK parking ticket
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    what will happen if a foreigner ignores a UK parking ticket 7th Sep 17 at 4:00 PM
    Hi,
    My Chinese friend comes to see his son who studies in a private school here. He got a parking ticket in some car park (he told me he couldn't find a ticket machine, so he assumed it was free).

The fine (50£) is tiny for him, so I think he will pay.

But I just wonders if he just ignores the parking ticket and goes back to China next week. Nothing really going to happen to him, isn't it?
    The car was rented from a car hire company, and he has no intention to stay or work in UK at all (other than some short holiday).

Am I right?
Page 1
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 7th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 5,410 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    The rental company should give the hirer details to the parking company, who should chase the driver.

However, the parking company is likely to find some excuse to reject the transfer, and do their best to extort money from the hire company. The hire company should challenge this but many don't, they simply pay up and then bill the hirers credit card.

And then the fun starts...

If it is a local authority ticket issued on a public road though, the chances are the hirer details will be noted, and the charge will be quietly cancelled. Either way, your friends credit card is at risk from an admin fee at best.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 7th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 8,144 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    Hi,
    My Chinese friend comes to see his son who studies in a private school here. He got a parking ticket in some car park (he told me he couldn't find a ticket machine, so he assumed it was free).

The fine (50£) is tiny for him, so I think he will pay.

But I just wonders if he just ignores the parking ticket and goes back to China next week. Nothing really going to happen to him, isn't it?
    The car was rented from a car hire company, and he has no intention to stay or work in UK at all (other than some short holiday).

Am I right?
    Originally posted by daxu
    The PPC will no doubt take it from your friends credit card.so
    best he writes to the parking company and gives his address
    in China AND DENIES the debt.

They will not go chasing in China
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • daxu
    • By daxu 7th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    daxu
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    Apparently they already paid that 50£ without even thinking about running away. Hope I could be that rich some day :-)
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 15,432 Posts
    • 24,135 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    Apparently they already paid that 50£ without even thinking about running away. Hope I could be that rich some day :-)
    Originally posted by daxu
    Seems only regular contributor The Deep on here is in that position (or at least admits to being so!).
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,411Users online

Martin's Twitter