Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tonymc85
    • By tonymc85 7th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tonymc85
    Recently Moved Home & just been informed i owe £3k!
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    Recently Moved Home & just been informed i owe £3k! 7th Sep 17 at 3:52 PM
    Hi,

I moved house 10 days ago at the time i moved house and transferred monies to my solicitor I informed them (by email) I thought I was under paying (I didn't think the Early Repayment Charge had been taken into account). When she rang me back to say the move had completed she said she checked with the bank and I had paid everything. I presumed it was my error working out the costs.

The extra funds over the past 10 days i have spent furnishing my house and doing repairs i wasn't aware about when we bought it.

Today i rang the bank as a payment for my old mortgage has come out for them to tell me i still owe the £3k on my old mortgage, this is the ERP my solicitor has not paid.

I am just wanting some advice on where i stand now? The bank is actually chasing the solicitor not me for the money so i presume my solicitor will be in contact in the coming days. I don't have the funds to pay for it and it isn't my error. Until the solicitor rings me i won't know if it is the banks error or the solictors. I will pay it i am just furious i brought it up and was told it was all fine!!

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 7th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 15,390 Posts
    • 7,782 Thanks
    ACG
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    You will need to pay it, mistakes happen.
    It might end up being a case of the solicitor pays it and then you pay them on some sort of payment plan minus say £250 for inconvenience maybe? But you will need to see what sort of agreement you can come to.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 7th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    It's not your error that the £3k wasn't on your bill, but it IS your error for spending the money before checking further.

You said it yourself, you were expecting to pay the ERC, so you should have explicitly asked them rather than trying your luck by not mentioning it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

356Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin