Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HLS43
    • By HLS43 7th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    HLS43
    Electoral Roll Close affecting mortgage
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    Electoral Roll Close affecting mortgage 7th Sep 17 at 3:44 PM
    Hi there, apologies if this is in the wrong place, I'm a newbie and just wondering if anyone had any advice. Having finally gone through a lengthy divorce and financial settlement, my partner is trying now to get a mortgage. She has an excellent credit rating, but is not on the electoral roll, so her application has been declined (purely because of the electoral roll).

She's tried to get on the electoral roll, but it is apparently now closed until the end of November and it takes 2 months once open for it to update on Experian, meaning that she can't now get a mortgage until the end of January at the earliest!

Has anyone come across this before and is there any way around it?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 7th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 31,941 Posts
    • 17,071 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    Which lender declined a mortgage on lack of electoral roll visibility as I've never come across that?

Has she never been on it, or is it just appearance at a recent/ new address?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • HLS43
    • By HLS43 7th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HLS43
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    It was Nationwide. She has been on it previously, just not at her rented address
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,300Posts Today

9,598Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin