Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gig1968
    • By Gig1968 7th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gig1968
    Mbna plevin
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    Mbna plevin 7th Sep 17 at 3:17 PM
    Hi
    Has anyone heard from mbna about plevin. I know they have been working on this for a while.
Page 3
    • Gig1968
    • By Gig1968 26th Nov 17, 1:04 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gig1968
    Cheque arrived friday
    • Deb27
    • By Deb27 3rd Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deb27
    MBNA plevin letter
    I have received a letter from MBNA with a claim form for PPI under the plevin ruling. My concern is they have asked for my bank details so they can pay in any money due. Is this normal procedure? Has anyone else had one like it?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 3rd Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 89,930 Posts
    • 56,605 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I have received a letter from MBNA with a claim form for PPI under the plevin ruling. My concern is they have asked for my bank details so they can pay in any money due. Is this normal procedure? Has anyone else had one like it?
    Originally posted by Deb27
    Whose bank would you like them to send the money to if you don't give them yours?

Yes it is normal.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Deb27
    • By Deb27 4th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deb27
    MBNA plevin letter
    Think I was probably being a bit over cautious so thought I would ask. I don't like giving my details out. So many scams these days you never know!
    • Midnightreader
    • By Midnightreader 4th Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Midnightreader
    A month ago I had a letter from MBNA saying they had upheld my Plevin complaint. It detailed the amount they say they owed me and stated payment would be made within 28 days of the letter. Those 28 days ended today and still no repayment from them. I phoned them this morning for them to inform me that they have since decided they don't owe me anything and that a letter will be sent to confirm this decision. Can they do that?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 89,930 Posts
    • 56,605 Thanks
    dunstonh
    A month ago I had a letter from MBNA saying they had upheld my Plevin complaint. It detailed the amount they say they owed me and stated payment would be made within 28 days of the letter. Those 28 days ended today and still no repayment from them. I phoned them this morning for them to inform me that they have since decided they don't owe me anything and that a letter will be sent to confirm this decision. Can they do that?
    Originally posted by Midnightreader
    You have no legal entitlement to gain financially where an error has occurred. Mistakes happen and if they have noticed an error, they can withdraw the offer.

MBNA do appear to have sent out the wrong letter recently on a number of cases and withdrawing the offer pending a revised letter being sent. So, you are not alone.

Wait until you get the new letter. Do not destroy any letters received so far.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • nikkim2175
    • By nikkim2175 4th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nikkim2175
    Hi,

I was just wondering where the dates came from that you had to have a policy active on 6th april 2008 to be eligible for a plevin refund? I know the obvious answer is just because thats what was ruled but I just wondered if there was a specific reason behind it? My PPI was cancelled just before this date so I have just missed out on receiving a refund.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 89,930 Posts
    • 56,605 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I was just wondering where the dates came from that you had to have a policy active on 6th april 2008 to be eligible for a plevin refund?
    There are a number of dates that can apply. These are all set by the FCA based legal advice given to them.

I know the obvious answer is just because thats what was ruled but I just wondered if there was a specific reason behind it?
    Technically, there is no law that says a commission should be no more than a certain amount. However, the supreme court was asked to rule on a case that fell under the Consumer credit act 1974. The laws changed at given points so its not a blanket date range and not all types of credit fall under the CCA. Or they didnt originally but do now or vice versa.

The unfair relationship provisions of the Consumer Credit Act apply only to credit agreements taken out on or after 6 April 2007 - as well as agreements taken out before 6 April 2007 if they were still ongoing as at 6 April 2008 (or there was money still owing).

For mortgages, sales made before October 2004 are in scope but not those after.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 04-12-2017 at 4:28 PM.
    • nikkim2175
    • By nikkim2175 4th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nikkim2175
    The PPI related to a mortgage taken in approx 1990 with HSBC. I cancelled it later because I tried to make a claim but was unsuccessful due to being in seasonal work. HSBC have sent a letter but its pretty vague as to why it doesnt meet the criteria of plevin. it just says my complaint does not fall within the scope of the provisions. Would they be able to clarify further if I rang them?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 89,930 Posts
    • 56,605 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The PPI related to a mortgage taken in approx 1990 with HSBC. I cancelled it later because I tried to make a claim but was unsuccessful due to being in seasonal work.
    Technically, they could timebar that complaint if they wanted under the 3/6 year rule (3 years from cancellation due to knowing it didnt cover you and 6 years after the start).

HSBC have sent a letter but its pretty vague as to why it doesnt meet the criteria of plevin.
    If the premium was not being paid as at 2008 then its not in scope.

Would they be able to clarify further if I rang them?
    yes
    • senote
    • By senote 4th Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    senote
    How much
    Okay, I submitted one of these plevin complaints, got an update to say they were looking into it, and today got a very poorly worded letter that, I think, means I am getting something, but instead of saying "we are giving you this much" it goes on about commission and 8% interest and historic interest, I'm a pretty smart guy and this was gibberish to me.

So my question, do I get all 3 amounts, less the 'UK withholding tax' or am I just getting the top amount or what?
    • Halesowen Kid
    • By Halesowen Kid 8th Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Halesowen Kid
    I'm baffled too....
    Okay, I submitted one of these plevin complaints, got an update to say they were looking into it, and today got a very poorly worded letter that, I think, means I am getting something, but instead of saying "we are giving you this much" it goes on about commission and 8% interest and historic interest, I'm a pretty smart guy and this was gibberish to me.

So my question, do I get all 3 amounts, less the 'UK withholding tax' or am I just getting the top amount or what?
    Originally posted by senote
    Yes I received a letter today stating exactly the same, so it will be interesting to read replies to your post Senote as I'm baffled too.....
    • thegreenone
    • By thegreenone 10th Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    thegreenone
    You get all three minus the tax. I got a cheque from MBNA about two weeks after receiving that letter. Happy New Year (by the time the cheque's cleared) to you both!
    Last edited by thegreenone; 10-12-2017 at 7:20 PM.
    • Halesowen Kid
    • By Halesowen Kid 11th Dec 17, 7:56 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Halesowen Kid
    You get all three minus the tax. I got a cheque from MBNA about two weeks after receiving that letter. Happy New Year (by the time the cheque's cleared) to you both!
    Originally posted by thegreenone
    Thank you for the good news & Merry Christmas to you....
    • Dcryer2b
    • By Dcryer2b 11th Dec 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dcryer2b
    I’ve received a payout from them.

Are all banks re-assessing PPI claims?

We had two claims refused on the mis-selling of PPI however, both companies have written to us telling us about these changes (we have since received £1200 from one of them).

My question is - do the companies that we’ve already received a refund for due to the mis-selling of PPI re-assess for the ‘plevin’ rule or do we have to re-submit a claim for this?

Thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 14,401 Posts
    • 15,197 Thanks
    zx81
    My question is - do the companies that we’ve already received a refund for due to the mis-selling of PPI re-assess for the ‘plevin’ rule or do we have to re-submit a claim for this?
    Originally posted by Dcryer2b
    Neither.

If your mis selling complaint was upheld, you have had all your money back, so there is no more to come.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Are all banks re-assessing PPI claims?
    Originally posted by Dcryer2b
    Plevin only applies to rejected PPI complaints (and not even all of those qualify).

If you've had a successful PPI complaint then a full refund (plus interest) will already have been paid to you and so no further refund is due.
    • Deb27
    • By Deb27 12th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deb27
    cheque from MBNA plevin
    Perhaps I'm being stupid or abit over cautious but my plevin letter from MBNA has requested mybank details but then I'm reading people have received cheques so why do they want details?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 14,401 Posts
    • 15,197 Thanks
    zx81
    To pay you the redress.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'm reading people have received cheques so why do they want details?
    Originally posted by Deb27
    So they can pay direct to your nominated account. Cheques take time to clear and have to be posted to you. Surely you want enable the quickest and simplest payment method?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin