Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 7th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4,346Posts
    • 1,603Thanks
    knightstyle
    Vent, A24 closure.
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    Vent, A24 closure. 7th Sep 17 at 3:02 PM
    The A24 north of Dorking is closed for works. WHY is there no advance warning about this? If there were signs on the M25 we woud have continued on to the M27 as many others would! We ended up in a terrible jam in Leatherhead/Great Bookham area where there were more road works with TTLs absolute madness!
    Who in their right mind would send all the A24 traffic there?
    The signs on the M25 around Heathrow told us about Dartford diversions! WHY? But nothing abut the A24 closure and nothing on the BBC traffic about this closure!
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 3,188 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    Was it a planned closure or due to an accident? A quick online search suggests it was planned.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 7th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    That makes it worse as there is NOTHING on http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information/ about it in the planned roadworks bit!
    We came down from Lincolnshire so would not have seen that paper!
    Nothing on here about it either! http://www.traffic-update.co.uk/a-roads/a24.asp
    Last edited by knightstyle; 07-09-2017 at 4:34 PM. Reason: add a bit.
    • payandisplay
    • By payandisplay 8th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    payandisplay
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    Did you mean M23. The M27 is nowhere near the M25?
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 8th Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    It's not the Highways Agency managing the work, it's managed by Surrey County Council:
    https://roadworks.org/downloads/cm/a24-bypass-road-leatherhead-sd-remedials-new-start-date_d6b6a0d757.pdf
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 8th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    That's why I use Google Maps on my phone for navigation, even if I know where I'm going. It's ability to re-route you because of live traffic conditions is invaluable, and helps you avoid trouble even in the remotest of locations, or where an incident has occurred barely minutes before. I've downloaded the UK maps for offline use, and its just getting traffic info over my data connection.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 25,688 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    But nothing abut the A24 closure and nothing on the BBC traffic about this closure!
    Originally posted by knightstyle

Did you contact the BBC or other local radio stations to inform them of the closure?

Do you not have traffic alerts on your stereo?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 8th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    As I said it was not on the BBC traffic report at all! So why wasn't it on any national websites? Only on the local county one?
    Does this mean that for a long journey I have to look on every county site I pass through?
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 10th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    Going back later today so hope all will be clear. Just been told by a friend that one lane heading North of the A24 will be closed from tomorrow for several weeks.
    Wonder if that will be publicised or will the poor drivers have more avoidable holdups?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 10,013 Posts
    • 6,998 Thanks
    neilmcl
    How about checking here https://roadworks.org/
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 10th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Apodemus
    Sadly, in U.K. we don't have a national road traffic system. We have a national network of trunk roads and we have local authority roads. The national network gives warnings of other problems on the national network and groups like the BBC and AA follow that, so you don't get local info. Where all this falls down is on main arterial routes that are not trunk roads. Why we can't sort this in what is really quite a small country is beyond me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,783Posts Today

6,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin