Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 155Posts
    • 575Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Everything is possible if you try!
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    Everything is possible if you try! 7th Sep 17 at 2:57 PM
    Hi all
    Newbie to the forum here. I'm ready to hold my hand up and say "yes, I have a debt problem". I'm also ready to do what I can to climb out of this debt-hole! (Hence the positive title!)

So, a little bit about me - I live with my teenage daughter (who I shall refer to from here on as Kitty) and two real-life floofs who constantly demand food and attention.

I've been dithering around in denial for months years, while slowly but surely the debt pile has accumulated. I was doing a really great job of ignoring this, until a few months ago, when I found myself doing the weekly shop on the credit card ("just to tide me over until pay day"), letting things creep up and up, and not repaying those little credit card payments which grew and grew, meaning that month on month just paying off the interest I wasn't getting anywhere.

I took a long look at what I was spending and where. Admittedly I've been lazier than I should have been with regard to my finances, so I hadn't really bothered to shop around for energy, broadband, car insurance etc deals. I've started to rectify this, and have found cheaper car insurance, energy and broadband. I've also started my little black book for recording moneys in and out, and renewal dates for such things (and discovered that uswitch will save reminders on these too )

I found this forum a couple of days ago, and your stories have inspired me to feel I'm not too old to get ouf of debt before I retire, and my debts, while a large looming cloud at the moment, should be manageable with some serious organisation.
    I've been having to take a lot of self-care lately, due to health reasons, but looking after finances so I'm not so anxious will be part of that.

So, this is the beginning of my diary, and journey. Constructive comments and helpful tips are welcomed, but please be gentle with me, as I'm new to this.

I do have a question for you all - I'm not currently on any DMP or anything. I spoke to a debt management company on the phone, and they recommended an IVA. For some reason the thought of this made me lose nearly a nights sleep and wake several times with severe anxiety chest pains! Hence, I'm trying being accountable to myself, and being open here I think will help, it seems an encouraging group.

Current level of debt:
    Barclaycard: £15,000
    HSBC Credit Card: £3,000
    MBNA Credit Card: £2,400
    Overdraft (this gets maxed out every month without fail): £350
Page 9
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 30th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Had a few days hermit-ing. New job is steam-rollering ahead regardless. It was that or redundancy, and that's not a prospect I want to think about right now! Pay day came late last week, so I really need to make sure I've got all in hand for November's budget. Kitty and I do have a day in London for her art, which I paid for in October to get the cheaper train tickets, so I need to take that into account when balancing my numbers. I fell off track a bit with recording spends on the app and writing them down over the last week. My brain has been so full of other stuff. New month about to begin, so I shall refresh my efforts anew.
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 30th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8,136 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Fingers crossed for you getting somewhere with the job stuff T&K - probably a silly question but I assume you've factored in savings on travel with the Company car against the money you'll lose in tax? Particuarly if that would include a degree of personal mileage as well?
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 30th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hi EH
    I've looked at travel costs - I'll still have to pay for fuel to normal day to day place of work, and private use of car/fuel, but the longer journeys will be covered by the company car mileage allowance thing.
    Getting to/from normal workplace might actually be cheaper on fuel (new, modern, fuel efficient car vs ancient inefficient monster), so it may not be as bad as first thought. I got someone who's already in the scheme to show me the car selector which tells you how much tax you'd pay for different models. Something with a hybrid engine, such as Toyota Prius, is one of the cheaper ones. I think that one worked out at £68/month or something. If I add up insurance, tax, MOT and maintenance costs it's probably not so bad. Still a PITA to have to travel 70 miles for work!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 30th Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 8,136 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    There is a degree more security in having a newer car as well of course, and that is also a benefit, albeit not a financial one.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 30th Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Yes, this is very true. With a company vehicle I don't need to worry about any maintenance etc as they'll sort it all out, with an instant replacement if it breaks down or anything. So, some peace of mind must be worth something! New role officially starts on 1st November, so will see how it all goes!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 30th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 8,136 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ooh that's quick!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 31st Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 5,266 Thanks
    117pauline
    Goodness!

It must seem as though they are steamrollering you. No wonder you haven't kept up to date with recording your spending.

Change is hard but enforced change is so much worse. I completely understand that you can't contemplate redundancy. By getting the full facts, it might make the move look more enticing. Is their any chance of working from home occasionally?

I know what you mean about new month and starting again. However you are starting again rather than burying your head under the duvet.

We can only do our best. Sometimes that isn't much but at other times, we can knock it out of the Park! Here's hoping it's a November to remember.

Take care and keep posting
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 31st Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Thanks for stopping by and giving me those little nudges of support everyone
    I've got a meeting with new boss next week, to discuss responsibilities etc, so I've been putting some stuff together for how I see things going, as new boss has not really had a lot to do with some of the work I do. It is all a bit of a whirlwind!
    I'm quite fortunate in that I've had Fridays working from home for a while, and new boss know about this and says he doesn't have a problem with it. Sounds like once we've got a kind of plan of what I'll be doing that I'll be left to get on with it. He said he's not worried whether I'm physically at the other site or not all the time, so long as I have a presence there and do work on their behalf even if I'm not there all the time.
    Need to finish totting up my October spends and balance books, then I can update my totals in signature.
    On a more positive note, I have actually managed to save a little this month, not an awful lot, but it's there!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 1st Nov 17, 3:57 PM
    • 8,136 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oh that sounds a lot more positive all told then T&K. Nice that it sounds like your boss is understanding and happy with a bit of flexibility.

well done on the savings - that's brilliant!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Plush
    • By Plush 1st Nov 17, 5:06 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Plush
    I've got a meeting with new boss next week, to discuss responsibilities etc, so I've been putting some stuff together for how I see things going, as new boss has not really had a lot to do with some of the work I do. It is all a bit of a whirlwind!
    I'm quite fortunate in that I've had Fridays working from home for a while, and new boss know about this and says he doesn't have a problem with it. Sounds like once we've got a kind of plan of what I'll be doing that I'll be left to get on with it. He said he's not worried whether I'm physically at the other site or not all the time, so long as I have a presence there and do work on their behalf even if I'm not there all the time.
    Originally posted by Tea&Kittens
    Your boss already sounds great :-) and that you can continue WFH-ing is good. Good luck in your new role! I'd really like to change jobs myself but I don't think it's a good time, I'm hesitant to do it with so much debt over my head.
    current credit debt Nov-2017 £13100 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    T&K hope you got through your first few days in new role unscathed. I started with a new team this week on the 1st as well.

Not sure when you and DD are going to London , but it will soon be here, the year is racing away.

Well done on saving a little this month.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 4th Nov 17, 10:17 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    Nicnak
    It's good he seems ok with what you're doing already xx
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 4th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6891 Car loan £17450 = £16,748 Total = £25,330 £23,749 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 7th Nov 17, 8:45 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 5,266 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi T&K

Thought I would pop in to see how you are doing.

Hope the meeting went well
    Take care
    Pauline
    Better Than Before
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 10th Nov 17, 8:18 PM
    • 8,136 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hope everything is OK T&K and you're settling into the new role well!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 11th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 5,266 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi Tea & Kittens

How are you doing?

Bit worried you haven't been around. Hope all is well

Take care
    Pauline
    Better Than Before
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 14th Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hi all, thanks for checking in!
    I've been struggling a bit with a couple of things. Not the best time MH-wise, what with the new job, and the change in medication last month. New medication doesn't feel like it's helping. I feel like an emotional time bomb. Anything random, at any time, seems to be able to elicit uncontrollable crying. Seeing GP on Thurs for a review. Money tracking has fallen by the wayside a bit. Not horrendously off the rails, but a bit of a warning for me. I guess it's a good thing that I'm thinking this now rather than waiting for the wheels to completely come off.
    My brain just feels so full of everything at the moment, that the effort required to continually upkeep records seems like pulling the stick out of ker-plunk that's going to make all my marbles fall out!
    Kitty and I had our London trip at the weekend, had an amazing time We packed up some food for the train journey and lunch, so we only really had to buy something to eat in the evening. This worked well. Great exhibitions in the Tate Modern, also purchased a book for my brother for christmas (it was £5 if purchased from the gallery) as it's relevant to his interests.
    I kind of forgot that way back in August, before I came to my spending-senses I had backed a game on Kickstarter to the tune of £65 ...so that disappeared out of my account ... eeeek!
    Also, Kitty's dad is a bit late with maintenance payments, so feeling rather short of readies right now.
    Work have given me a long-term hire car (as the grade I'm now on automatically qualifies for a car but they take aaaaages to sort out), so I'm going to clean and valet my car , and hopefully I should get about £1000 for it, which will cancel out recent monetary misdemeanours and pay off a bit more on one of the cards.

Target for (rest of) November: Get back on track with recording stuff!
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 14th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Just made myself go through bank stuff and write down everything from this month. Proves that unless I log everything down, I'm completely unaware of how much I'm spending. Account is around £200 down on where I thought I was....
    How do people have enough mental energy to be so vigilant about everything?? I have too many brain weasels for this!
    I'm not by any means giving up on it, but hellfire, by the time I've been to work, sorted dinner, made sure there's at least something clean for us to wear I'm completely braindead. The house is a tip and I hate it being like that but I just don't have the necessary vigour required me to do anything about it. It feels like constant ongoing thankless drudgery.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Nov 17, 4:40 PM
    • 8,136 Posts
    • 42,889 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    It gets easier over time - I promise. There is a point where all the financial stuff goes from being something that needs constant vigilance to something that just happens with just the occasional guiding hand to keep it on the rails. At that stage you've learned enough that you almost instinctively know when things aren't right, and pick up really quickly on spending habits beginning to go off track. It's one massive advantage of doing everything on paper though - the way you engage with it - doing the calculations yourself etc - really helps you to learn your way around your own finances really quickly.

Glad to hear London was so good, and well done on picking up the warning signs of the MH stuff before it takes a full hold too - that again is one of those things that's incredibly valuable to be able to do isn't it.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 14th Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I agree, it sort of gets more ingrained in you and things become habit and more automatic.

Be kind on yourself though, mental health in itself is hard to deal with never mind a new job, managing money etc x
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 4th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6891 Car loan £17450 = £16,748 Total = £25,330 £23,749 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 14th Nov 17, 6:51 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 5,266 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi Tea & Kittens

Am I glad to see you!

London sounds as though it was fabulous. I bet Kittens had a better time with you than with school. And that's why you are doing this, to make it better for the two of you. Debt busting can be really time consuming as well as pretty boring. However think of the joy when the debt has gone.

As EH and Nicnak say, it will become habit eventually but it takes a while to replace the bad ones. Then it will become just a part of your routine.

You are trying to cope with a new job, longer commute, new budget so there is a lot of change going on. Hopefully the doctor will help on Thursday and offer some constructive suggestions for you.

Can you try to menu plan so you have some nice easy and quick meals on hand? My winter menu plan is doing well and now I have a list of ideas, it's quick to write my list. Getting out of the house is another story.

And brain weasels? Love the term. I now have a picture of several running amok, all round my body

Hope the week gets better, take care honey
    Pauline
    Better Than Before
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,925Posts Today

8,487Users online

Martin's Twitter