Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 176Posts
    • 665Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Everything is possible if you try!
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    Everything is possible if you try! 7th Sep 17 at 2:57 PM
    Hi all
    Newbie to the forum here. I'm ready to hold my hand up and say "yes, I have a debt problem". I'm also ready to do what I can to climb out of this debt-hole! (Hence the positive title!)

So, a little bit about me - I live with my teenage daughter (who I shall refer to from here on as Kitty) and two real-life floofs who constantly demand food and attention.

I've been dithering around in denial for months years, while slowly but surely the debt pile has accumulated. I was doing a really great job of ignoring this, until a few months ago, when I found myself doing the weekly shop on the credit card ("just to tide me over until pay day"), letting things creep up and up, and not repaying those little credit card payments which grew and grew, meaning that month on month just paying off the interest I wasn't getting anywhere.

I took a long look at what I was spending and where. Admittedly I've been lazier than I should have been with regard to my finances, so I hadn't really bothered to shop around for energy, broadband, car insurance etc deals. I've started to rectify this, and have found cheaper car insurance, energy and broadband. I've also started my little black book for recording moneys in and out, and renewal dates for such things (and discovered that uswitch will save reminders on these too )

I found this forum a couple of days ago, and your stories have inspired me to feel I'm not too old to get ouf of debt before I retire, and my debts, while a large looming cloud at the moment, should be manageable with some serious organisation.
    I've been having to take a lot of self-care lately, due to health reasons, but looking after finances so I'm not so anxious will be part of that.

So, this is the beginning of my diary, and journey. Constructive comments and helpful tips are welcomed, but please be gentle with me, as I'm new to this.

I do have a question for you all - I'm not currently on any DMP or anything. I spoke to a debt management company on the phone, and they recommended an IVA. For some reason the thought of this made me lose nearly a nights sleep and wake several times with severe anxiety chest pains! Hence, I'm trying being accountable to myself, and being open here I think will help, it seems an encouraging group.

Current level of debt:
    Barclaycard: £15,000
    HSBC Credit Card: £3,000
    MBNA Credit Card: £2,400
    Overdraft (this gets maxed out every month without fail): £350
Page 12
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 13th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 6,234 Thanks
    117pauline
    I hope you are managing well with your ills. Sometimes it feels as though it is one thing after another.

Now I really fancy stew and dumpling for tea. Last night I put a chicken pie and jacket potatoes in th oven before I went for a shower and hairwash etc. Somehow I managed to fall asleep and rescued the food two hours later! Now I know charcoal is good for you but there are limits.

Did your daughter enjoy her birthday? It seems such a milestone doesn't it?

And how are you getting on with the life coaching activities?

Have a great weekend, take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 13th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 3,835 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Hope you start to feel better soon x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 3rd January 2018
    Credit Card £0 now: £1796 Tesco Loan £7500 = £773 Consolidation £15,000 = £14,725 Total = £25,330 £17,294 EMF #252 = £500/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 14th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Wow, I hadn't realised some of the PA survey things had such a small number of participants. I guess that explains why they get filled up so quickly. I have other survey sites to fill in though, slowly building up to a little pot of something!
    Oh Pauline, it sounds like you must have been really tired the other day to have fallen asleep! I hope you managed to get some tea
    Kitty had a lovely time for her birthday, she just needs to sort out which day she wants to go for her spa as her present from me.
    Life coaching is progressing, but slowly now I'm back at work, I don't want to overdo things and end up making myself ill again.
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend! I've been playing boardgames with friends yesterday. Doing a bit of pottering around the house today, and I should also do a bit of food shopping. Might have to consider a different flavoured stew for this week, much as chicken is easy and tasty, we have had it rather a lot lately!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Good to heat you are back at work , as you say take things at your pace and look after yourself.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3209 CC2 £308

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 16th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 44,225 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Good to hear that things are improving a bit healthwise and fingers crossed for the driving thing working out OK.

Glad Kitty had a fabulous 18th as well - that cake sounds amazing!

Mmmm...stew and dumplings. we've not had that so much as usual over this winter as yet as it's not fitted in so well with me tracking and logging my food - I'm planning to relax a bit on that next month though so will factor it in to a meal plan there I think!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£758.45 (19/12/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,689Posts Today

9,313Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• This is perhaps the most ridiculous tool I've seen online, it values your name based on what a sample of 500,000 ea? https://t.co/39sRBJrLt3

• RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• Follow Martin