Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 168Posts
    • 634Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Everything is possible if you try!
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    Everything is possible if you try! 7th Sep 17 at 2:57 PM
    Hi all
    Newbie to the forum here. I'm ready to hold my hand up and say "yes, I have a debt problem". I'm also ready to do what I can to climb out of this debt-hole! (Hence the positive title!)

So, a little bit about me - I live with my teenage daughter (who I shall refer to from here on as Kitty) and two real-life floofs who constantly demand food and attention.

I've been dithering around in denial for months years, while slowly but surely the debt pile has accumulated. I was doing a really great job of ignoring this, until a few months ago, when I found myself doing the weekly shop on the credit card ("just to tide me over until pay day"), letting things creep up and up, and not repaying those little credit card payments which grew and grew, meaning that month on month just paying off the interest I wasn't getting anywhere.

I took a long look at what I was spending and where. Admittedly I've been lazier than I should have been with regard to my finances, so I hadn't really bothered to shop around for energy, broadband, car insurance etc deals. I've started to rectify this, and have found cheaper car insurance, energy and broadband. I've also started my little black book for recording moneys in and out, and renewal dates for such things (and discovered that uswitch will save reminders on these too )

I found this forum a couple of days ago, and your stories have inspired me to feel I'm not too old to get ouf of debt before I retire, and my debts, while a large looming cloud at the moment, should be manageable with some serious organisation.
    I've been having to take a lot of self-care lately, due to health reasons, but looking after finances so I'm not so anxious will be part of that.

So, this is the beginning of my diary, and journey. Constructive comments and helpful tips are welcomed, but please be gentle with me, as I'm new to this.

I do have a question for you all - I'm not currently on any DMP or anything. I spoke to a debt management company on the phone, and they recommended an IVA. For some reason the thought of this made me lose nearly a nights sleep and wake several times with severe anxiety chest pains! Hence, I'm trying being accountable to myself, and being open here I think will help, it seems an encouraging group.

Current level of debt:
    Barclaycard: £15,000
    HSBC Credit Card: £3,000
    MBNA Credit Card: £2,400
    Overdraft (this gets maxed out every month without fail): £350
Page 11
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 2nd Dec 17, 8:09 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 5,629 Thanks
    117pauline
    I have my menu ideas on a spreadsheet so it doesn't take too long to make my menu plans. I have a sheet for summer, one for winter and one for Christmas and boxing day too.

This way I don't have to come up with ideas each time.

How do you feel about the reception job now? I was wondering how it might work with your long commute?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • SnowBallBunny
    • By SnowBallBunny 2nd Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    SnowBallBunny
    Welcome to DFW!

Regarding keeping an eye on your finances, I check my bank balances daily, that's one thing that's really helped me to keep an eye on things. Otherwise you could keep a spreadsheet and track your progress that way.

Also watching lots of Dave Ramsey videos on Youtube has helped. On his channel you'll find lots of people's debt stories, either people asking him questions about their current situation or people celebrating having paid off debt, often very large amounts.

I really like your thread title, yes, Eveything is possible if you try!
    Credit Card 1 £6,000/5,800.63 Debit Card 2 £5,000/£4,798.36 Credit Card 2 £1,200/£960.66 Accountancy Bill £144 (Last Payment 14.12.17) Tax Bill £750 (Monthly instalments 15.12.17 - 15.5.18 / £150 per month) Debt Snowball Baby Step 1 Emergency Fund: £250 Total £12,310 (Emergency Fund £250)

A SnowballBunny, hopping my way to Financial Freedom.
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 4th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Had a pretty good weekend, with friends and boardgames
    This week's "big pot" dinner is a huge load of ratatouille I made yesterday. We have another couple of meals out of it. I did go slightly over budget shopping this weekend, but this was due to purchase of a new clothes airer as the old one has completely collapsed.
    Took a couple of friends to Chatsworth christmas market today (they paid fuel and parking as I drove). I only took as much cash with me as I had budgeted, and no card temptations. Had a lovely walk, and just got a little elephant tree ornament for Kitty (elephants being her favourites).
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 7th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Just chirping in to say well done and keep going! You seem to have taken the ideas and support form everyone here and have created a new financially-healthier lifestyle for you and your daughter. Don't be too hard on yourself as you've come a long way, no one is perfect but you're still trying. It's nice to see the difference in your confidence in tackling this debt - comparing the start of this thread to now you seem more prepared and confident in your ability to deal with it. I hope you notice this difference too along with the difference in the debt levels
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    • 8,212 Posts
    • 43,449 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Mmm ratatouille sounds fabulous - that's something I do from time to time as well. and well done on just taking cash to Chatsworth - I can well imagine there might be a lot of temptations to spend at something like that! Hope Kitty liked her elephant!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter