Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • msrt5mp2
    • By msrt5mp2 7th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    msrt5mp2
    Working 25 hours
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    Working 25 hours 7th Sep 17 at 1:17 PM
    Hi I'm looking for advice,

I am currently on ESA support group with housing benefit due to mental health issues.

I have been offered a job that I would be able to do from home but it seems this is a problem and would leave me worse off so I am just checking I am reading things correctly. As far as I can see....

For up to 16 hours this is permitted work and my current benefits would not be affected

For 30 hours I would get working tax credit / its equivalent in universal credit

For 17-29 hours I would get no support at all and would be worse off than I am currently

Could anyone help me that this is correct? I really want to get back to work but I cannot afford to be worse off as seems would be the case working 25 hours

Thank you for your help
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 7th Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    • 4,521 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    Do you meet the criteria for the disability element of WTC?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/534178/TC956_04_16_1.0.pdf
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 7th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:06 PM

For up to 16 hours this is permitted work and my current benefits would not be affected
    Originally posted by msrt5mp2
    It's not that simple. Permitted Work is precisely that, work which DWP permits a claimant to do. A claimant can't simply start work without the agreement of DWP. There is also an income limit as well as a limit on working hours. It's not just a case that you can work 16 hours without benefit being affected. Far too many people are given that impression.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,337Posts Today

7,310Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin