Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Movingonnow
    • By Movingonnow 7th Sep 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Movingonnow
    Just moved back to UK, grateful for advice!
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:04 PM
    Just moved back to UK, grateful for advice! 7th Sep 17 at 1:04 PM
    Have moved back to UK after a bereavement. After months of limbo it's all gone quickly, found job and have just rented a flat. I have some beginner questions. A bill was waiting for me at the flat from npower for gas and electric the month the flat was vacant. What do I do about that? Also when I make an account with npower what do I do? Do I negotiate a tariff with them? Can I move providers immediately? I might stay with them while I get my head together.
Page 1
  • nPower
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    Have moved back to UK after a bereavement. After months of limbo it's all gone quickly, found job and have just rented a flat. I have some beginner questions. A bill was waiting for me at the flat from npower for gas and electric the month the flat was vacant. What do I do about that? Also when I make an account with npower what do I do? Do I negotiate a tariff with them? Can I move providers immediately? I might stay with them while I get my head together.
    Originally posted by Movingonnow

Hi Movingonnow

Thank you for posting. I would be happy to take a look into your account and answer your questions if you would like to send me an email (using the address from my profile) with your account details.

Thanks

Vicky
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
    • molerat
    • By molerat 7th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 17,009 Posts
    • 11,187 Thanks
    molerat
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    Originally posted by Movingonnow
    Were you the registered tenant for the month ? If not pass it on to the LL/LA.

Did you take meter readings on the day you moved in ? Don't believe any read the agent gave.

You need to contact NP and set up an account and give them the date you took over and the meter reads. Probably worth staying on their standard variable (or any fixed tariff that has no exit fee) until you have sorted out your consumption as detailed below.

You are then free to move to whoever you wish. There is no "negotiating" energy prices, you take what is on offer and best for you. The difficulty is of course knowing how much energy you will use but NP will be able to supply you with the data for the property. That may or may not be relevant to you but is a good starting point and by taking and submitting regular monthly reads a pattern will emerge.

Put that supplied data into one of the energy comparison sites and see what comes out, it is also worth inputting higher and lower consumption figures and see what comes out as best in different scenarios.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin