Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sanova76
    • By sanova76 7th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 6Thanks
    sanova76
    can I claim tax back?
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    can I claim tax back? 7th Sep 17 at 12:47 PM
    Hi,

I'm recently out of work and looking for another one right now. I used to work part time (due to child care) and earn below the threshold so I don't pay tax.

I'm hoping to find another permanent part time job but if I take a temp 3 months full time job, will I be able to claim any tax back? I assumed everything (my earning and tax) will show on my next year P60 ( if I managed to get a permanent job). What happen if I'm between jobs? will the agency be the one issued the P60?

Thanks.

San
Page 1
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 7th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    It would be better to get onto the correct tax code with your new employer so that you paid the correct tax, which depending on your earnings could be no tax.
    Firstly do you have a P45 from last employer if so what is the tax code on it and is there an X after the tax code.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 18,544 Posts
    • 14,272 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    If you work PAYE and have the correct tax code allocated to the job then you will pay the right amount of tax, or none if your earnings for the year are below the personal allowance. Worry about reclaiming overpaid tax when it happens.
    • sanova76
    • By sanova76 7th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    sanova76
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    thanks for the replies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

28Posts Today

4,250Users online

Martin's Twitter