Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 7th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    • 248Posts
    • 37Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    Survey results in, advice needed
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    Survey results in, advice needed 7th Sep 17 at 12:38 PM
    Hi

Just got my homebuyers survey back. There are 3 or 4 points that I was not aware of and I am going to send them to the estate agent to ask the vendor:
    1)The 2 extractor fans in the bathrooms are only vented into the loft space. What type of contractor do I need to resolve this? A plumber or builder?
    2) The ensuite toilet bowl is loose and needs refitting
    3) The immersion heater has been disconnected for some reason
    4) Water pressure is inadequate
    5) The original soil and vent pipe have been disconnected in the roof void. The remaining section is supported in an "ad hoc manner" . We need to know if there is a non return valve fitted on top of the original soil and vent pipe thats in the bathroom but its boxed in. Not sure how I will be able to check this? If I get a plumber in to check he would need to remove all the boxing and damage the bathroom decoration :-(

Are these all issues I will be expected to remedy myself? My main concern is the soil/vent pipe.
    Last edited by purpleparrotuk; 07-09-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Page 1
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 7th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    They sound like total none issues to me. The loo will be a bit annoying as it'll clunk/ rock when you sit, but will be easy and cheap to fix.
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 7th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    They sound like total none issues to me. The loo will be a bit annoying as it'll clunk/ rock when you sit, but will be easy and cheap to fix.
    Originally posted by Rambosmum
    Thanks, I think the vents into the loft can be serious. Can cause the wood to rot etc.
    Also the low pressure could mean I have to replace all the pipework in the house.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 7th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 7,719 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    They don't sound like non issues to me, even though they are easy to fix. They smack of a bodger and fiddler, someone who has altered things that worked, or never finished a DIY job properly.

These are the ones the surveyor found. What delights are there in the wiring under the floorboards, and how are the kitchen wall units fixed? Where does the drain soak to, and what was the adhesive used on the bathroom tiles?

Yes, you fix them yourself. The owner will botch the jobs again, or pay peanuts for somebody to do it equally badly.

Worth a revisit for a close inspection and see what else you can spot. May be nothing, may reveal more diy wonders.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 41,985 Posts
    • 48,599 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    .......I am going to send them to the estate agent to ask the vendor:
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk
    I am very uncear what it is you are going to ask the vendor.

* will you fix these issues please?
    * What type of contractor do I need to resolve this?
    * something else?

In any event, you are wasting your time. There is only one thing you might ask the vendor: "Will you agree to reduce your selling price by £X?", but this seems very inappropriate.

The issues are minor, and are cheap and easy to fix. Buy the house (if you like it) then fix/improve it how you want
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 7th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    I am very uncear what it is you are going to ask the vendor.

* will you fix these issues please?
    * What type of contractor do I need to resolve this?
    * something else?

In any event, you are wasting your time. There is only one thing you might ask the vendor: "Will you agree to reduce your selling price by £X?", but this seems very inappropriate.

The issues are minor, and are cheap and easy to fix. Buy the house (if you like it) then fix/improve it how you want
    Originally posted by G_M
    Hi. I think the vendor did most of this work himself. So he will be able to tell me if there's a one way valve, why the immersion has been disconnected etc I'm not looking for money off just advice.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 41,985 Posts
    • 48,599 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    Hi. I think the vendor did most of this work himself. So he will be able to tell me if there's a one way valve, why the immersion has been disconnected etc I'm not looking for money off just advice.
    Hmmmm..

Chances are he'll be reluctant. He might well be concerned that anything he says might be used against him:

* not to Building Regulations standards?
    * contradiction to what he wrote in answers to Enquiries?
    * or just ammunition you might then use to negotiate the price

His solicitor, if he has one and asks advice, will certainly tell him to re-direct you and your questions via your solicitor, and not to give direct answers.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 7th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    I'm not looking for money off just advice.
    On what? How to bodge DIY?

I too think the seller would be reluctant to move on price. Check the TA6 form to see if they've done any dodgy electrics. If it was me, I might be inclined to get the electrics tested (at my own expense) at this point.
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 7th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    On what? How to bodge DIY?

I too think the seller would be reluctant to move on price. Check the TA6 form to see if they've done any dodgy electrics. If it was me, I might be inclined to get the electrics tested (at my own expense) at this point.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    Electrics already in hand. Going have them checked the next week or so.

Thanks for the replies. If he doesn't want to answer then fair enough. Just thought I would try.
    • AndyTails
    • By AndyTails 8th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    AndyTails
    They don't sound like non issues to me, even though they are easy to fix. They smack of a bodger and fiddler, someone who has altered things that worked, or never finished a DIY job properly.

These are the ones the surveyor found. What delights are there in the wiring under the floorboards, and how are the kitchen wall units fixed? Where does the drain soak to, and what was the adhesive used on the bathroom tiles?

Yes, you fix them yourself. The owner will botch the jobs again, or pay peanuts for somebody to do it equally badly.

Worth a revisit for a close inspection and see what else you can spot. May be nothing, may reveal more diy wonders.
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck

Now you've got me scared as to what a surveyor will think of my DIY when I come to sell!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

415Posts Today

3,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin