Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Susy909
    • By Susy909 7th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Susy909
    GUaranteed rent eg Northwood
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    GUaranteed rent eg Northwood 7th Sep 17 at 12:07 PM
    Does anyone know any guaranteed rent companies or insurance except from Northwood?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 18,434 Posts
    • 14,147 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    I suggest you do a search and have a look at the results to see if any of them meet your needs, my search threw up 3 apart from Northwood on the first page of results (although one of them warns that the site may be hacked, so I'd be wary about going to that one).
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 7th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    From the experience a colleague has had with two of them one of which was Northwood I believe the issues are universal, Northwood as the big market player just gets more threads on here mentioning them for example.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 41,087 Posts
    • 47,233 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    Try Bing, Google, Yahoo or similar.

But why would you want to go down this road.........?

* New landlords: advice, information & links
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 5,130 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    I'm not familiar with that specific firm, but the two big potential problems with these types of schemes are:

1. Quoting from their website:

... We [Northwood] then sub-let the property, taking great care to select the right kind of tenants...

Repair of tenant-caused damage is covered for up to 1.5 months of rent value.
    So you have no say over the choice of tenant. Then if the tenant trashes the place - perhaps doing £5k worth of damage - it sounds like you only get a max of 1.5 x monthly rent as compensation.

2. Say you let the property to the agency for 1 year, but their tenant refuses to move out at the end of the year.
    • Does the agency undertake the eviction process, and continue to pay you the guaranteed rent until the tenant finally leaves?
    • Or does the agency just hand back the property to you - with a 'difficult' tenant who may not pay you rent and that you'll need to evict yourself?
    • Susy909
    • By Susy909 7th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Susy909
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    I agree, the 1.5x monthly rent is very risky, a deal breaker
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 41,087 Posts
    • 47,233 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    And your tenancy with Northwoods is a commercial tenancy, not an AST.

You can't use S21 or S8 Notices............
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin