Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AJMorton
    • By AJMorton 7th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    AJMorton
    Unadopted Rd - help
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    Unadopted Rd - help 7th Sep 17 at 12:04 PM
    Hi
    I have recently purchased and modernized a terraced property in Bolton however at the rear which would normally be a back street is a strip of shrubbery land which is clearly not being attended to, you struggle to walk down with your wheelie bins and I have seen a number of rats ewwww After making a number of enquiries it appears to be an unadopted rd, firstly who would be responsible for the upkeep and would I be able to purchase it and who from, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Narkynewt
    • By Narkynewt 7th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Narkynewt
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    If you search the land registry you will be able to find out who owns the strip of land. They may not want to sell it to you though!

Even if they do sell it to you/your neighbours don't forget you will then be fully responsible for its upkeep, so things like lighting, drainage, etc will all be upto you. If someone falls and hurts themselves putting a bin out then you will be liable so you may need to purchase insurance as well.

Seems like a lot of bother to me. I'd find the owner now and make them accountable for cleaning it all up.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 13,450 Posts
    • 36,645 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    It sounds like a back lane serving all the houses there from your description.

If it is - then how would the other house occupants use their back lane if it had been purchased by one of the houses?

PS; and, indeed, owners of unadopted roads are the ones that will have the "buck stop with them" if there is an injury claim from a user of it. I'm in an unadopted road - and very glad I'm not the owner of it...
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • AJMorton
    • By AJMorton 7th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AJMorton
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    Thank you for your answers, to elaborate further, along with unadopted access way is a parcel of land that runs the full length of the houses which is also part of the unadopted area, this is over grown and unused also not maintained but could be a fantastic garden. This what I am more interested with.

Thanks
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 41,094 Posts
    • 47,237 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    There are 4 issues:

1) who owns the lane, and the land

2) who is responsible for maintaining it/them

3) who has a right of access to use them

4) will the owner sell to you

1) may be easy or hard:
    * do a 'map enquiry' with the Land Registry. If the road/land are registered, download the Title(s) and check the owner
    * speak to other prperty owners - they may know
    * ask the farmer
    * ask elderly locals

2) & 3):
    * read your own Title document, and any associated Deeds & Conveyances
    * Read you neighbours' Titles
    * Read the owner's Titles

4) Ask the owner
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 13,450 Posts
    • 36,645 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    Thank you for your answers, to elaborate further, along with unadopted access way is a parcel of land that runs the full length of the houses which is also part of the unadopted area, this is over grown and unused also not maintained but could be a fantastic garden. This what I am more interested with.

Thanks
    Originally posted by AJMorton
    Sounds like a possibility for a communal food-growing space a la Incredible Edible Todmorden.

Have you rung on the neighbours doorbells to see if they are interested in you all starting up using it this way together?

Sounds like it could be a fantastic garden - for all of you together.

Time to ring doorbells and invite everyone round for a drink and see what everyone thinks about it - ie about you all sharing a communal garden space together.

No need to think in terms of you all purchasing it. Say it's 5 houses involved = you all take it over and garden it and one-fifth each becomes "personal property" per house in the road. Could be a nice little neighbourhood resource and I don't suppose anyone would be bothered that all of you had just started gardening it together.

I can certainly think of a bit of neglected wasteland in my home city that had been noticed by a group of hopeful gardeners - and they have all divided it up between them into mini-plots each and are busily growing food there together. It's a very nice set-up. They all accept that the real owner might decide to kick them all off meanwhile (though it doesnt seem very likely) and they are all happily getting on with it together. I wondered whether to ask for a vacant "share" myself back then...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-09-2017 at 5:13 PM.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,739Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter