Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tsissons
    • By Tsissons 7th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Tsissons
    0 WOW
    Charged £800 for broken string.
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    0 WOW
    Charged £800 for broken string. 7th Sep 17 at 11:49 AM
    Hi, I hope someone can help me. I hired a car at nice airport 2 weeks ago, the exterior was examined on pick up, all fine. The exterior was NOT examined. I removed the parcel shelf and laid it flat in the boot so I could fit the luggage in. Returned the car to Marseille airport 10 days later where the interior was examined. It was found that one of the 2 strings holding up the parcel shelf was snapped, I hadn't noticed but the guy was tut tutting. This morning I have discovered £800 has been taken from my account because of the broken string!
    Ev n if I have broken it, how can they charge me £800 for a piece of string? The car was a Nissan micra, the whole parcel shelf with 2 strings is only £50 brand new.
    I have called the office in France but they say I DID break it, what do I do now? Can anyone help? What are the chances of getting this £800 back?
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 7th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 7,072 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    I assume you did not purchase the extra insurance from the car hire company so did you take a separate excess insurance policy?
    • Tsissons
    • By Tsissons 7th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tsissons
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    Hi, enterprise offered us insurance when we picked up the car for 20 euros per day, more than the cost of hiring the car. We don't have a separate car rental insurance policy, no. I didn't even know there was such a thing to be honest. I do have a pretty comprehensive travel insurance policy though as I'm abroad several times a year (I only rent a car once per year though) so there may be something in there I suppose.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 7th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 11,640 Posts
    • 7,892 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    This sounds like a blatant attempt at over-charging, and it is unfair to shift the cost on to an insurance policy (even if the OP has cover).

Presumably they have taken the £800 from a credit card: well, I suggest you contact the card company with evidence that the broken component (well actually 2 times the broken string plus the parcel shelf itself) costs much less than the amount of the charge and ask them to reverse the transaction.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 9,579 Posts
    • 10,743 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    Following on from Voyager's advice, it might be worth seeing if you can get proof of the cost of a new shelf and submit this to your card company (if applicable) when you make an attempt to get the charges reversed.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 7th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    antenna
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    Name the company.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 13,058 Posts
    • 17,275 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    Name the company.
    Originally posted by antenna
    Enterprise was mentioned.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Tsissons
    • By Tsissons 7th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tsissons
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    Yes it's enterprise. I've called the credit card company to dispute the transaction.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 7th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Westin
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    I wonder if in that £800 they are including a charge for the car being 'off the road' for repairs. Perhaps understandable if the car was going for a respray but not for something as minor as a repair to the parcel shelf.

Either way an out of proportion charge for the broken parcel shelf.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Sep 17, 6:28 PM
    • 18,703 Posts
    • 42,996 Thanks
    peachyprice
    A colleague had something similar with Enterprise (won't use them myself). He had a small scratch that they took €1000 for, they then reimbursed the difference once the repair had been made. But he did need to chase them and ask for an invoice proving how much the repair cost. Was £800 the amount of the deposit they ringfenced when you collected the car?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 7th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 5,412 Posts
    • 6,186 Thanks
    malkie76
    Costs of car off the road, and personnel to move the car to the garage for replacement will be included, and they'll invoice you to the moon for that.

I imagine their insurance product prevents them from repairing it themselves (which would have kept costs down).

Real shame, but this is the current state of car hires.
    Legal team on standby
    • uknick
    • By uknick 9th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    uknick
    Reading this makes me so glad I made Enterprise note a broken parcel shelve string when I picked up a car from their Gatwick branch a few months ago. I suppose it's a good habit to get into when hiring cars.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,543Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter