Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AngieAnn
    • By AngieAnn 7th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    AngieAnn
    Reducing an offer made due to lack of extension papers
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    Reducing an offer made due to lack of extension papers 7th Sep 17 at 11:01 AM
    Hello,

We are currently in the process of buying a house which has a ground floor extension. The solicitors have confirmed to us that there is no planning permission or a certificate of lawfulness for the extension and that we could take an Indemnity insurance from the current seller and continue with the purchase. The seller says that there was no planning permission required in this case.

My question is, is that a valid reason to want to drop the price and how much would be acceptable?

I would like to add that, the reason behind this is also the fact that houses in the area/neighbouring streets have dropped their sales prices in the last 2-3 months and the last few sales were lower than the ones from 3 months ago which indicates to us that we are currently overpaying. When taking the extension issue into account as well, we have become concerned. BTW there is no chain so we would not be causing delays to anyone but the seller (and ourselves).

Thank you for your help
    Last edited by AngieAnn; 08-09-2017 at 8:27 AM.
Page 2
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 7th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    Crashy has already admitted that there is no price point at which he would enter the market, and that renting until you die but having cash in the bank provides better security. If anyone does (which I doubt) value his counsel concerning property transactions they are misguided.
    Originally posted by bob bank spanker
    He has to trick himself into believing that he's doing the right thing with the whole rent forever plan, that's why he's constantly on here posting this nonsense. Imagine looking in the mirror knowing you've wasted 100's of thousands of ££££'s through pure ignorance and stupidity.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 8th Sep 17, 12:29 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ThePants999
    There is absolutely no issue here and certainly no cause to reduce the price.
    • AngieAnn
    • By AngieAnn 8th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AngieAnn
    Thank you all for taking the time to help with your responses, appreciated. I was not aware of all these details about extensions, so it seems that there is not much risk there.

The overpaying bit, is a bit of a different topic, as it is also hard to calculate - I shouldn't have brought it into the discussion. But thank you for your viewpoints on that as well.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    shortcrust
    There's an ignore button Grampus, best option
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    That's what I use.

Only problem is when people quote...

Serious point though - when you're in the process of buying for the first time having someone constantly talking crash crash crash takes a real toll. I bought a year ago with my offer accepted the week before the brexit vote. Oh the doom and gloom that was to befall us. But here we are a year on with prices up 5% and a chunk of mortgage paid off already.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 08-09-2017 at 8:54 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,586Posts Today

9,253Users online

Martin's Twitter