Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 7th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,141Posts
    • 177Thanks
    littlerock
    Anyone come across Hampshire & Surrey Home Improvements?
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    Anyone come across Hampshire & Surrey Home Improvements? 7th Sep 17 at 10:22 AM
    Anyone come across Hampshire & Surrey Home Improvements? I have had several roofers around recently touting for business as I have a tile down in my gutter (which I know about) and they have these generic trade business cards, well actually a postcard really and it seems like some sort of franchise.

The roofer who knocked me up yesterday was at pains to say he was local. There was a local trading estate address on the trade card as well as a head office. He was wearing a t shirt saying H & S Home Improvements. However they do not have a website and there are no endorsements from trade bodies on the cards and the only phone number was the head office, a long way from me, in Hampshire (where I do not live incidentally.) I cannot find them online.
Page 1
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 7th Sep 17, 10:50 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:50 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:50 AM
    No reputable company goes around knocking on peoples doors touting for work.

Why would you even consider using them?
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 7th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    actually they do it here all the time. We are a pretty residential area but near a main motorway and often we will get a tree surgeon who has finished the job they cam to do early and looking for another one before they go home.

On this occasion the tile is in the front gutter and easily accessible by any able chap with a long ladder, just in case it starts to block the gutter. The roof repair would be another thing.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 3,648 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    actually they do it here all the time.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    No they don't.

As said earlier...
    No reputable company goes around knocking on peoples doors touting for work.
    Originally posted by teneighty
    The companies that knock on your door 'all the time' are not reputable.
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 7th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    actually they do it here all the time. We are a pretty residential area but near a main motorway and often we will get a tree surgeon who has finished the job they cam to do early and looking for another one before they go home.

On this occasion the tile is in the front gutter and easily accessible by any able chap with a long ladder, just in case it starts to block the gutter. The roof repair would be another thing.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    Well the "tree surgeon" will probably have a ladder so he can fix the tile. He'll probably tarmac your drive and jet wash your patio while he's at it, having just finished another job around the corner early and has probably got some materials left over so he'll do it cheap.

Do people really still fall for this scam?
    Last edited by teneighty; 08-09-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 7th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    I have had a couple of my trees pruned perfectly well by respectable guys from tree surgeons who have finished early locally and are looking to pick up a bit of pocket money before going home. I will not give their company names because it was done off the record by well known tree surgeons staff.

And separately I did have some work done on my roof earlier this year, by a guy I got from Checkatrade top rated locally 9.9 (the tile came down more recently.) He said work had been very slow for local roofers this year.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 23,747 Posts
    • 66,092 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    Work is slow for no reputable builder.

I have to fend people off telling them we're booked up for absolutely ages and they just accept it. Then I have to find another reason to say no.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,643Posts Today

6,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin