Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 7th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 510Posts
    • 35Thanks
    ktcoil
    Clean gutters without a ladder? 2 storey house
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    Clean gutters without a ladder? 2 storey house 7th Sep 17 at 10:13 AM
    Hi Guys

Can anyone suggest something I can use/buy for cleaning gutters on our house, we was originally going to purchase ladders/then hire ladders and now after reading a lot of comments about the safety of going up on a ladder we don't want to.

Is there certain pressure washers/poles that will reach up? not too much in cost.

I seen this but not sure what pole I would need to make it long enough and also do I need a pressure washer or can you just use a hose pipe?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-BB-GC150-Telescopic-Gutter-Cleaner/dp/B002C3D9F6

thanks
Page 1
    • MoneyMate
    • By MoneyMate 7th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 13,008 Thanks
    MoneyMate
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    Just had a look at youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opOZ82h7PeM

Looks a little messy to me.
    There are more questions than answers
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times
    UK Resident
    • dggar
    • By dggar 7th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    dggar
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    Do you have any idea as to height of your gutters from ground level? That would be a good starting point for working out the length of poles.

Have you thought about how you would view whether the water you've put into the gutter has cleared any debris. You might want to get a drone to check what is going on.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 7th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    It's messy but no-one gets hurt in the process (hopefully!)

I'd recommend a Harrison 5M pole, I think it's about the longest you can buy, and its good for the money.

Be aware it's 6 foot long when storing.

You can get quite a few things to attach to the end, but if taping on a hose it will be quite heavy because of the water, so it's probably then a two-person activity.

I can paint at full height with one of these easily (up to a gable end). But remember never use it at an angle unless you want a hard time - try and keep the pole vertical as much as possible.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 7th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    My window cleaner did mine using his normal long pole with a brush on the end. He does it when it is raining as he cannot clean windows in the rain - well he can but customers complain they get dirty again straight away. Make sure you clean gutters before cleaning windows!!
    • kaya
    • By kaya 7th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 2,344 Posts
    • 2,722 Thanks
    kaya
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    go to the local fishing tackle shop and buy a catapult and a couple of pints of maggots, catapult the maggots onto the roof and they will all roll down into the guttering and bury themselves in the moss and dirt, the birds will come along and dig all the muck out of your gutter to get at the maggots
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 8th Sep 17, 2:14 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 3,106 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:14 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:14 AM
    we hired a gutter hoover for a couple of days when we had a moss build up, i think it was about £60'ish for a couple of days.

It was like an industrial henry hoover with multiple sections of really wide hose, which then had a bent end which you slipped into the gutter for hoovering out.

It was unwieldy but it got the job done
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    we hired a gutter hoover for a couple of days when we had a moss build up, i think it was about £60'ish for a couple of days.

It was like an industrial henry hoover with multiple sections of really wide hose, which then had a bent end which you slipped into the gutter for hoovering out.

It was unwieldy but it got the job done
    Originally posted by phatbear
    I've got somebody booked to come and clean ours on a 4 bed house for £60.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,476Posts Today

7,935Users online

Martin's Twitter