Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blawford
    • By blawford 7th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 20Thanks
    blawford
    Fleas in rental property
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    Fleas in rental property 7th Sep 17 at 9:58 AM
    Looking for some advice.

My Mum is having a tough time at the moment. She has moved into a rental property where the letting agent has told her that the property has been professionally cleaned. Within a week or so of moving in she was covered in flea bites and had to move out so that the place could be fumigated!

She hasn't even had an apology from the letting agent or landlord and although she has now moved back in is still dealing with the aftermath of the situation, itching bites and the psychological effect, wondering whether they have really all been killed.

I am wondering what she might be due in compensation for her situation and what the best way of going about it is?

I haven't been able to find much on the subject but surely 2 weeks in returned rent for the time she was unable to live there should be the absolute minimum she should get? It seems like there should also be an argument for compensation for the amount of time she has spent dealing with this whole fiasco and the inconvenience (mildly putting it) to her.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 7th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    Should at least get two weeks rent back. Did they have pets in the house before she moved in? A cleaner would not deal with fleas.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 41,070 Posts
    • 47,188 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    Dear Mr landlord,

Thank you so much for arranging the fumigation of the property (last week/whenever). So far as I can tell to date, this has solved the problem, but I will keep you informed if the problem re-occurs.

As you know, the problem clearly pre-dated my tenancy so was not of my making. Although my tenancy agreement gave me a right to being housed elsewhere during the fumigation process, I was hapy to make my own arrangements.

However, since I was unable to make use of the prperty from xx/xx/xx17 to xx/xx/xx17 ie 14 (?) days, I should be gratefu for the return of rent paid for this period when the property was uninhabitable.

(calculate the daily rent and multipy by however mny days)

Once again, thank you for your assistance, and I look forward to re-imbursement within the next few das.

yours sincerely,

Blawford

Send by post to the landlord at the address provided (in tenancy agreement) 'for serving notices'.

Send a copy to the agents.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 7th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    As you know, the problem clearly pre-dated my tenancy so was not of my making. Although my tenancy agreement gave me a right to being housed elsewhere during the fumigation process, I was hapy to make my own arrangements.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Can she give proof of this?

• G_M
    • By G_M 7th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 41,070 Posts
    • 47,188 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    Can she give proof of this?
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    I don't know.

But either the fleas were already there, or she brought them with her. Since (so far as her post suggests) she did not have fleas till 'within a week' of moving in it seems unlikely she brought them with her.

Fortunately proof for a civil court is 'on the balance of probability' (in contrast to a criminal court 'beyond reasonable doubt').
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 7th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    As a landlord myself, I can say the landlord of this flat may not have known about the issue.

We let a flat in the past, and mistakenly allowed a tenant with a cat. When they moved out, we cleaned the flat as normal and everything looked fine. That evening my wife started coming up in bumps. Now she is very sensitive to things like this, but had it just been me cleaning it, the fleas did not affect me and unless I saw one, I would never have known.

We had to dispose of the sofa and mattress and have the carpet fumigated. Thankfully we found out before a new tenant moved in, and before the previous tenants deposit had been returned. The previous tenant lost their deposit which went part of the way to replacing the sofa and mattress.

I would have thought your landlord should appologise and refund the rent for the period she had to move out, and chase the matter with the previous tenant for compensation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

3,269Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin