Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mars15
    • By mars15 7th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mars15
    Can't get loan
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    Can't get loan 7th Sep 17 at 9:21 AM
    Hi I'm new to here so not sure if this is the right place to post!!

I'm trying to get a loan to consolidate debts, at the moment I a couple of credit cards and a loan. Getting a further loan to cover these would practically half my monthly payments...however as I have a high ratio of unsecured debt (credit cards) I'm being declined, even though I can afford to make the payments!!!!

I've been declined 0% credit cards so can't do balance transfers.

Anyone have any experience or advice on how to get around this?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 14,042 Posts
    • 14,728 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    Pay down some of the debt. Visit the DFW boards for advice on cutting costs.

Once you're less indebted, other opportunities may arise. Lender won't risk you doubling hour debt at present.
    • mars15
    • By mars15 7th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mars15
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    Hi, thanks. I've sent a message to DFW so hopefully they can advise me.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 7th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 7,072 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    Hi, thanks. I've sent a message to DFW so hopefully they can advise me.
    Originally posted by mars15
    this is the board referenced (not sure what you mean by 'sent a message')
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76
    note with any additional borrowing the lender will assess your affordability on the total of the existing debt plus the new debt - there is no guarantee that you would take the new debt and pay off the existing debt with it so you need to be able to afford it all, which is potentially part of the issue you have
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 8th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    Likely to be declined because it's double the debt you have to them. They don't know your going to consolidate
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 8th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    Make as many cutbacks as you can and then try the snowball method to pay them off? Consolidation loans don't get rid of the debt it just moves it about and usually hangs around longer. If the current interest is high then that might spur you on to pay them off quicker? Unless you are maxed out and can't afford to make more than minimums? That's what happened to me. In that case call them and make an arrangement.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 8th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 29,527 Posts
    • 17,326 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    Unless you are maxed out and can't afford to make more than minimums? That's what happened to me. In that case call them and make an arrangement.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Surely before you (need to) do that - and trash your credit rating - you'd attempt to increase your income wouldn't you?...overtime, 2nd job, even a 3rd job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

164Posts Today

2,257Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin