Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 7th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 23Thanks
    HGW2012
    Confused by Survey Results
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    Confused by Survey Results 7th Sep 17 at 8:59 AM
    We received our survey back yesterday and somethings have confused me. Please bare with me, yes we are FTB and I am just looking for advise.

He had Level 2 Homebuyers.

Firstly there was a comment on there saying that the surveyor couldn't carry out the survey to full spec due to furniture being situated in the property and him being unable to move it. But this isn't true. The house is empty!

It also mentions the path down the side of the property is shared but I don't know why it would be, I don't know if he is getting confused. There are two paths next to each other, one that leads directly to our back garden only why would this be shared? Then one at the side of that (which we wouldn't need to use) that runs at the back of the houses to the side of our house which is used to access all those houses back gardens.

There are a few 2's but is the 3's I am concerned about -
    Condensation which it says is due to poor ventilation and could be sorted with insulation.
    Shrinkage cracks to angles on internal walls
    Driveway damaged (but no further info on this) and should be replaced.
    Small tree at the bottom of the garden could cause issues.
    1 of the windows would not open.

Are these cause for concern? Or am I looking too much into it.

I am wondering if they even matter or if I need to act or what would be serious enough for us to try and renegotiate.

The property is 13 years old so relatively new strictly speaking.
Page 1
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 7th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    Nothing on there would worry me - if the cracks were due to subsidence or structural movement, this would have been pointed out.

All the other things are not worth worrying about.

I woudn't worry about the path, if there is some sort of shared access or easement / right of way, you solicitor will tell you about it.

I find surveys actually totally pointless as they generally state the bleeding obvious.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 23,738 Posts
    • 66,055 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    If the house is 13 years old then it should already be adequately insulated to have passed building regs. It's basics. What evidence of condensation is there? Mould? Where?

I'd put in a call to the surveyor and ask them to clarify. You've been given a copy and paste job, which is common, I'm sure. Doesn't help explain anything when there are anomalies.

The drive is the expensive thing there. Go and have another look at it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 3,204 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    Firstly there was a comment on there saying that the surveyor couldn't carry out the survey to full spec due to furniture being situated in the property and him being unable to move it. But this isn't true. The house is empty!
    Originally posted by HGW2012
    Logically you contact the surveyor to make sure he's actually surveyed the correct property.

Could the status of the property have changed between your last viewing and the surveyor's visit? (E.g. the current owner has moved back in temporarily).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 7,725 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    Seems like the surveyor forgot to remove some of the boilerplate they normally put in surveys to cover their posterior, which shows you how useless they are. If a "small tree" is a 3 what's left since 3 is as bad as it gets from what I recall ? Again, more CYA there. Useless.

Notwithstanding that, the only real issue reported seems to be the drive. I suggest you use the equipment placed at the top of your face and use that to look at it and see if but looks bad enough to be worthwhile asking for a reduction, but I'd doubt it and who knows maybe that's another bit of boilerplate and arguably it's priced into the deal anyway, didn't you notice it when you visited ?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 41,049 Posts
    • 47,154 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    How can insulation solve a ventilation problem......

If anything, insulation reduces ventilation!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 23,738 Posts
    • 66,055 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    How can insulation solve a ventilation problem......

If anything, insulation reduces ventilation!
    Originally posted by G_M
    It's terribly written. Perhaps the surveyor is on work experience.

The condensation problem could be one, the other or both. Given that it's a new house, it's probably a ventilation issue. The occupiers probably found the extractor fan annoying and switched it off at the isolator.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 7th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    HGW2012
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    The house has been empty for months so I suspect that the windows just haven't been cracked open for a while!

The drive way, there was a car on it. Which could have been covering damage.
    As I said the house is supposedly empty so I will go and have a look at the drive. The only thing I noticed was oil on it!

Thanks for everyone's replies. Will go back and check that circumstances have not changed and the vendor hasn't moved back in. We were under the impression there was no chain.

We did just seem to have got a copy and paste jobby, I am wondering if I just wasted my money them stating the obvious.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

609Posts Today

5,921Users online

Martin's Twitter