Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the shreksta
    • By the shreksta 7th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 70Posts
    • 12Thanks
    the shreksta
    does this mean i cannot erect a sky dish on the front of my house....
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    does this mean i cannot erect a sky dish on the front of my house.... 7th Sep 17 at 8:04 AM
    i have 2 restrictive covenants that im in doubt of as i will be having sky fitted i need to know where i stand.

1-not to keep or place or permit to be kept or placed any building or erection on the property in front of the building line

2-not to erect any satellite dish larger than 600mm on any part of the property and not to erect or permit to be erected any motorised ground mounted satellite dish

i remember my solicitor (who is in with jelsons somehow) telling me im not allowed to erect one on the front of the house but i cannot see that those covenants tell me that.

ive rang sales @ jelsons and all she said was that people might complain but she didnt say i couldnt.

opinions please
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    Can't see a problem there. It's not an "erection". Check whether planning is an issue though.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 7th Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    A sky dish is no larger than 600mm so is already exempted from that covenant.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 7th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,374 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    Not infallible, but does anyone else have one at the front? If there are none, it probably means it's not allowed - or it means that everyone else has just accepted that they can't without pushing for it.

Do you know that it needs to go at the front? I'm guessing you would be allowed to put one smaller than 600mm on the roof as that would not be 'in front of the building line'. I've always taken covenants like this to mean you can't build a porch or suchlike, but I agree it's ambiguous when it comes to satellite dishes.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 7th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    But someone has to enforce the covenant so why not put it up and see who squeaks?
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 7th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    i have 2 restrictive covenants that im in doubt of as i will be having sky fitted i need to know where i stand.

1-not to keep or place or permit to be kept or placed any building or erection on the property in front of the building line

2-not to erect any satellite dish larger than 600mm on any part of the property and not to erect or permit to be erected any motorised ground mounted satellite dish

i remember my solicitor (who is in with jelsons somehow) telling me im not allowed to erect one on the front of the house but i cannot see that those covenants tell me that.

ive rang sales @ jelsons and all she said was that people might complain but she didnt say i couldnt.

opinions please
    Originally posted by the shreksta
    I know someone who used to live in a house with a similar covenant, they weren't allowed to fit a dish to the front of the house but a dish mounted on a pole (not motorised, just a standard Sky dish) in the back garden was permitted.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 7th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    I've got my Sky dish on a pole on the back of the house. Works just fine and, aesthetically, it's better as you can't see it.

Could you not do this to save any possible hassle.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 5,046 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    Not infallible, but does anyone else have one at the front? If there are none, it probably means it's not allowed - or it means that everyone else has just accepted that they can't without pushing for it.

Do you know that it needs to go at the front? I'm guessing you would be allowed to put one smaller than 600mm on the roof as that would not be 'in front of the building line'. I've always taken covenants like this to mean you can't build a porch or suchlike, but I agree it's ambiguous when it comes to satellite dishes.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse

Nowadays, Sky installers don't like going higher than the first floor, so a roof installation would probably cost more on health and safety grounds.

Whether a Sky dish goes on the front, back or side depends on the direction needed to access a clear signal from the satellite .

In our road ,the houses opposite and behind us, have them on the front, but on our side they are at the back. Bungalows on the road from ours to the one behind have theirs on the side, so they point in the same direction as the others.
    • ToasterScheme
    • By ToasterScheme 7th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    ToasterScheme
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    Whether a Sky dish goes on the front, back or side depends on the direction needed to access a clear signal from the satellite .
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    The Sky satellite is quite high up in the sky - so barring other obstacles (e.g. others buildings or trees or excessively steep roof) it is generally sufficient for the dish to be "just peeping over the eaves" to get a signal.

You can usually mount a dish on either side of the house.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 7th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    soulsaver
    If you go down the 'see who squeaks..' route, bear in mind the first notice you get could be a solicitors letter telling you you're breaking the rules...and charging you for the letter.

What about on a chimney?
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 7th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ThePants999
    If you go down the 'see who squeaks..' route, bear in mind the first notice you get could be a solicitors letter telling you you're breaking the rules...and charging you for the letter.
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    They can't "charge" you for the letter. They can demand you pay something. You can say no. It won't go any further given they know they wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally, as long as you moved the dish as requested.
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 7th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    rosyw
    The covenant say no dishes larger than 600 mm, a Sky dish is 600 mm, so is not larger, what's the problem?
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 7th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    ariba10
    Our Satellite dish is out in our back garden on the Garage wall about six foot from the floor.

It is directed over the house towards the Satellite.

All the other houses in the street have them on the front of the house.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 7th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 4,720 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    We have a similar covenant banning dishes.
    The solutions locally are:

Go with a non-dish provider (i.e. IPTV, cable)
    Install a dish out of site (ours is in the back garden, below the 6foot fence height)
    Install a camouflage style aerial (the ones that look like bricks)
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 5,891 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    stator
    When was the house built ?
    Unless you are living on an estate that is still being built and sold then the chances of that covenant being enforced are < 1%
    Most Sky dishes are smaller than 600mm anyway, so you don't have anything to worry about!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • the shreksta
    • By the shreksta 7th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    the shreksta
    Thanks for the replies. House was built about 3 weeks ago and yes Jelsons are on site for another 12 months.

Nowhere in writing does it say I cannot so I may as well take my chances. The sky engineer is coming this afternoon so will see where he says it needs to be.

There is Only 5 other completed houses on my street and none of those have dishes up.

As it's not in writing I'm guessing they cannot enforce it?
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 7th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    My last house was on a very large new housing estate and we had the exact same thing about not allowing Satellite dishes... within a few months it was impossible to find a house that didn't have one,

The sales lady told us about it when we were first starting to look at the houses and said don't worry, everyone will have one,

She also showed us a plan of the estate and highlighted all the the speed calming measures which were lots of bollards all the way up the roads, and a raising bollard to only allow buses out of one of the main roads out of the estate, she also said they will never get installed,.. and she was right, the bollards never appeared,

i think they propose certain things to get the planning permission to build the houses.
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 5,891 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    stator
    The fact that they have said no larger than 600mm clearly indicates that they are happy for normal Sky dishes to be installed.
    It's the larger satellites that people often install if they want to access foreign language satellite services that can be a bit of an eye sore.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 7th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 9,049 Posts
    • 11,968 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    A sky dish is no larger than 600mm so is already exempted from that covenant.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    Except Scotland , 800, the satellite signal is weaker (look at the geometry)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,015Posts Today

8,278Users online

Martin's Twitter