Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    • 2,876Posts
    • 38,983Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 7 September 2017
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 7 September 2017 7th Sep 17 at 6:14 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 7th September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was a naughty pizza takeaway - but was delicious as always. Tonight we will be having gammon, egg, roasted potatoes and peas/veg. We didn't get to visit mum as when I'd phoned they were out, so did managed to get in touch with her later during the evening and I'll be taking her birthday prezzie over this morning.

Yesterday work was steady now on days' off, but I'm working Saturday morning. I'll be heading to town to visit the bank and building society, then visit mum and then home to crack on with the "to do" list. I also need to visit the big orange diy store as when the boys got home yesterday my washing line had snapped and the washing was all laying in the grass, luckily it looks like it was mostly dry before this happened.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 07-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • dp1
    • By dp1 7th Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    dp1
    Hi everyone
    I was back to work yesterday, so back to early mornings. It was so gloomy this morning I had to put light on while I had my breakfast. Nice to see everyone, but I did enjoy my holidays and having lots of time to myself! Never mind, only six weeks till half term. Got a few jobs to do tonight and going to make ravioli and pasta sauce for tea- nice and easy!
    • elona
    • By elona 7th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11,251 Posts
    • 59,970 Thanks
    elona
    Family left on Sunday and it has taken me till now to get all the laundry washed and dried. I just managed to drag in the washing from outside this afternoon a few minutes before it started to rain.

The new trundle bed and mattress should be delivered tomorrow so crossing my fingers and toes that it fits under the metal guest bed.

The cleaner has been round and the house looks so much better. The only disaster area is my bedroom which has odds and ends to be sorted and put away.Hoping to get to grips with things later tonight and tomorrow.

Gers

I think the idea of an alert pendant is a good one if your mum is willing to always wear it. Sorry just read the post about the hearing difficulties. Are there any adapted phones that light up or vibrate?

Planning a quiet evening with a simple meal like a pork loin and some actifry chips. No idea if any dds are planning a visit and overnight stay or meals over the weekend so will just play it by ear.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 19,973 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Pleased to read that things are calmer at your DM's Gers, I can sympathise on the hearing aid issue as experienced it with both my parents, hard to manage, take care of yourself x
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 7th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 11,684 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Hi all

Not long waved off DGS and his mummy off. She worked this morning and then came to ours to do about a year's worth of shredding. OH was at the end of his tether with them I think by the time they went and he had to go home via Morrisons with them.

He has been stressed today with a letter from the Inland Revenue and one about DD's final phone bill as she is changing mobile phone providers. He had to have her phone contract through his bank account two years ago when she came home from Japan as she had not had a credit history in the UK as she had been abroad for nearly ten years.

then there was a traffic hold up on the way to our usual supermarket so we went to Sainsbugs and couldn't get everything we and DD wanted. Then to top it off DGS had a meltdown as we went past his house as Grampy usually drops him home on Thursdays but DD was coming straight to ours today. And breathe....

Sorry about the rant-not like me but we are holding the fort until DGS starts his 3 year olds nursery place towards the end of September. He has to be phased in despite being in the same setting and attending his 2 year place all year. Grrr!

Right hope your mum is better soon Gers.

Have a good evening all.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    GERS are there any other providers for the alert button necklace.
    We found one in our area who would phone and if no answer would send some-one out or you could give them the phone number of a neighbour?
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 89,792 Thanks
    redruby
    Gers I hope your mum is ok, they do medi alert things for people who are hard of hearing, with different ways of contact, might be worth a google xx
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    caronc
    Hi again.

Made it to DMs for 11am and the doc came soon after. Because I'm now here the doc is not doing an admission to hospital for IV fluids - I just have to be firm about getting DM to drink regularly. I've been out for the prescribed antibiotics and Loperamide so she should pick up fairly quickly.

DM has an alert button necklace via Glasgow City Council Social Services. The only issue there is that the carers respond by phoning and DM is deaf and can't use the phone. Hearing aids stopped being effective years ago. It's not easy all round!

Anyway, things are calmer. DM is sitting in bed reading; I've been out shopping and am now going to lie on my bed and close my eyes for a wee while.

Thanks for the good wishes and advice- all appreciated.

Originally posted by Gers
    Gers -with my Dad (South Ayrshire), they also phone but if they don't get a response they send a response team out quickly, so far this has worked well, as it's not as though you can get there quickly if she has a medical need.
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 7th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 25,871 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Evening everyone,
    Gers - glad mum is okay, it's such a worry x
    Gintot - it's good to get things off your chest, rant away x
    AOD - glad yesterday ran smoothly x
    Today I finally managed to shift a big monkey off my desk that has been causing me no end of anxiety all week. It's a new church year and boy do we know it! Tomorrow my boss is out, so I'm planning to do all the filing and get organised before the weekend. DH is coming to London after work and we are having dinner with friends for my birthday, but we are not eating until 9pm! Will need to go steady with the drinks lol.
    Hope you all have a great evening
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

3,393Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin