Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    • 2,814Posts
    • 37,926Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 7 September 2017
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 7 September 2017 7th Sep 17 at 6:14 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 7th September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was a naughty pizza takeaway - but was delicious as always. Tonight we will be having gammon, egg, roasted potatoes and peas/veg. We didn't get to visit mum as when I'd phoned they were out, so did managed to get in touch with her later during the evening and I'll be taking her birthday prezzie over this morning.

Yesterday work was steady now on days' off, but I'm working Saturday morning. I'll be heading to town to visit the bank and building society, then visit mum and then home to crack on with the "to do" list. I also need to visit the big orange diy store as when the boys got home yesterday my washing line had snapped and the washing was all laying in the grass, luckily it looks like it was mostly dry before this happened.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 07-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 7th Sep 17, 6:28 AM
    • 3,474 Posts
    • 40,026 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:28 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:28 AM
    Morning All

Hope all went ok yesterday AOD.
    My washing line snapped at the weekend nmlc but I really dislike the orange shed so ordered one from Amaz0n. Don't know if I'll need it until next year!

Swimming this morning then work, must visit the bank later to tell them I'll be in Dublin at the weekend, may need extra cash.

Washing all folded and put away, I'll put a load on when I get home from work. DW will probably need to go on too.

Have a happy Thursday, take care. XX
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 7th Sep 17, 6:35 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 17,104 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:35 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:35 AM
    Good morning everyone

Thank you nmlc for starting us off .
    AOD, hope everything went as well as it could do yesterday xx

It feels very Autumnal this morning with a bit of a chill in the air. It was dark when I got up but the sun is trying to come out from behind all the clouds. Steve has left for work in a good mood as he managed to book tomorrow off. Lilly is in the shower and the other two are hopefully about to appear for some breakfast.

I am just having a sit down before I finish cleaning the living room. My friends are coming to visit me today with their little baby and a toddler so I have been trying to child proof the living room. Max is very disgruntled as I took his minging blanket and threw it in the washing machine. He keeps huffing and sighing but it's tough luck. It wont take long to wash and dry and at least some of the doggy pong should be gone .

I am trying a new recipe for cajun spiced rice for dinner. I remembered to take out the pork mince last night so that was a good start. Last night's tea was lovely, I made chicken parma from the 2 chubby cubs blog. It was delicious and the girls ate all of it.

Yay, the washing machine has just beeped at me so I will tumble Max's blanket and then he will stop being a grump. I've also just ordered him a bowl to slow down his eating as he has got into a bad habit of gulping it all down so fast he starts choking. Hopefully this will work.

Right, back to the hoovering. Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 7th Sep 17, 6:42 AM
    • 3,585 Posts
    • 21,035 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:42 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Flying visit this morning, before I wake the DGDs up and face the chaos of getting them all ready before the school run starts. Then back home ready to catch the 9.30 bus into town for the treck to St James Oncology.

And I am tired before the day starts! Good night out with the "girls" last night but I couldn't get to sleep when I got to bed and tossed and turned and clockwatched all night.

I am not organised with the customary Thursday Bolognese Bake for their late after swimming tea either. Just got the mince out to defrost and hope we are back in time to make it this afternoon before the girls are back again.

Have a good day all and (HUGS) for the poorlies, sad or worried who want them. Hope yesterday passed off ok AOD. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Sep 17, 6:42 AM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 13,159 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Good morning.

Yesterday went as well as it could, it was very difficult for mum and I am glad I was there to support her.

Work today, then tomorrow I will be off to spend the weekend with friends, long-planned. So I probably will be awol over the weekend. The mister and DS will manage fine without me but I can predict 'a certain level of mess' when I return.

I'm back to the not much sleep thing and am hoping that a change of scene might help. In the long run, I know that when I get tired enough, my body will make me sleep through the night but I do wish that it would do this now.

I really should get a move on.

Hope everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Sep 17, 6:50 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:50 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:50 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off nmlc

A really mixed day in my family today, it is my nephew’s 19th birthday and two years to the day since my mum died. Last year was probably the worse as it was his 18th. So we have a celebration and some sadness at the same time.

Yesterday the sun had come out by 10.00am and it was a really nice day so I made the most of it and went out for a walk in the afternoon. The park is very peaceful now that the schools are all back in this area now.

I had the heating checked and tested yesterday in preparation for the winter but I’m hoping to keep that off for as long as possible this year. I’ve also got everything that I need to put a door curtain over my front door. There always seems to be a terrible draft coming from there.

I had the second portion of my stew yesterday, and as usual it tasted much better the second day, so many stews/casseroles always seem to improve overnight. I was thinking that I need to try and organise myself so that I always make it the day before in future.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 5,768 Posts
    • 33,580 Thanks
    Gers
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    Morning everyone.

Piddling down here again. Situation normal then.

Work day yesterday was short and sweet, thank goodness, and then I spent some time with a colleague doing some planning.

About 8 o'clock last night, when I still hadn't heard from my DM I phoned her. She was lying on the floor again, had phoned her nearest (but oldest) neighbour who couldn't lift her! I phoned the strapping 6' 2" bloke upstairs who sprinted down and lifted her back to bed. The carers arrived and declared her broken bone free! Turns out she's had a gastric bug so hasn't eaten or drunk anything for two days.

The bloke went off for some rehydration sachets which she is now taking. I've cancelled work plans for tomorrow and will zoom down there after the morning session. She's such a worry now, but it had to come as she's heading towards being 90 years old.

Apart from that all is well here, hope it is for others.

Happy Thursday.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Sep 17, 7:12 AM
    • 6,425 Posts
    • 88,782 Thanks
    redruby
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:12 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:12 AM
    Morning all

Bit overcast and damp here but meant to be brightening up later on, off to work for me and my long week this week so working all weekend

The driveway is finished and I think looks lovely, we cannot drive on it for a couple of days to let it 'set' but its nice to look at, window man phoned me yesterday and they are being fitted in two weeks.

DD is having a lovely time in Croatia and from the photos she has sent me it looks to be a beautiful country, they are off to visit waterfalls today.

Chicken Kiev for dinner with either chips or new pots with some veg, so a nice quick meal.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • tru
    • By tru 7th Sep 17, 7:49 AM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 42,702 Thanks
    tru
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:49 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:49 AM
    Morning

I love this time of year – candles, crochet and cosiness I've just finished crocheting another Christmas cushion cover. I'm really not sure about the patterns, I decided to do four different designs but I'm beginning to think I should've stuck to just one. I have a favourite and plenty of yarn so I'll probably make a few more so they all match.

I have two more customers for eggs so I'm pleased about that. A box of six eggs costs me 83p and I sell them for £1.30. So I'm never going to be rich but profit is profit! Plus I swap some for other things and have as many eggs as I want for myself. So overall I do quite well

I'm still just pottering about and pausing to do my exercises regularly. I put my must-do list to one side for a few days, I sat down yesterday and wrote it out onto today's page in my diary so I'm going to start going through it this morning. Feeling motivated at the moment, not sure how long it'll last though

Bulletproof
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 15,073 Posts
    • 61,323 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

had a productive day yesterday sorting the wheat from the chaff and ive got piles of stuff to donate to my chosen charity. I'm awaiting time for collection which i am hoping will be today sometime as i cant get in my kitchen for unwanted furniture and stuff. Which reminds me, theres a camping table in one of the sheds that can go too.

Bin is heaving again. I love my bin men!

Donated my winter bedding to my neighbour yesterday as it wont fit the new bed.

This morning ive got Livewire for an hour whilst his Mummy takes his sister to have her injections. Remind me to hide the permanent marker this time. Fortunately it was only his very blonde hair that got marked last time and he only did that cause i was feeding his Sister at the time.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    Last edited by Judi; 07-09-2017 at 8:24 AM.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 18,007 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Dry, bright but really quite chilly here, I did sort out some of my long sleeved tops the other day but think I might need some jumpers soon too.

We had a lovely time at the beach yesterday, Rosie re-lived her youth and run to splash in the sea, it was lovely to see Tilly enjoyed herself as well and they both slept all the way home. We will try to go again soon.
    I am off to the SM today, need to stock up a bit as have been eating out of the cupboards, also need to pick up a watch that I left couple of days ago for a new battery.
    Not sure about supper, will await inspiration!

Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,860 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Thanks for all your encouragement to show pictures! There's an embargo on pictures until a press release next week or something, plus I haven't actually seen any pictures or the like. Sorry.

My mum, step-dad, gran and aunts and uncles go on a trip to Mijas this morning for a week. So I stopped off at my grans on the way home from work yesterday to see her before she goes. She took the opportunity to then give me all her food that was going to go out of date during the time she was away, so I enjoyed my apricot swiss roll that evening.

Working late tonight. 8am-9pm. We've a networking event on and we're providing canapes, so that'll be my dinner.

HH - Hugs for today
    Gers - Oh dear, what a fright. I hope she's better today.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 7th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 18,194 Thanks
    snoozer
    Gers, it's a worry isn't it. I hope she's back on her feet soon.

TA good luck for today.

Puppy was very good yesterday, she's always been very chilled but excitable like all puppies but now she is calming down when you arrive and happy to have cuddles without nipping. She is totally gorgeous and we love her to bits.

Packing today to go up to the Wirral for friend's funeral. She was really SiL's friend but I knew her for over 40 years and DH even longer so it's only right we pay our respects.

Then on to Yorkshire for the weekend with more friends (DH's best friend since he was 2 and his wife).

Must go because I've got to pop down and see lovely D-i-L to pick up DH's fleece he lent to DS.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

[QUOTE=Gers;73090741]Morning everyone.

About 8 o'clock last night, when I still hadn't heard from my DM I phoned her. She was lying on the floor again, had phoned her nearest (but oldest) neighbour who couldn't lift her! I phoned the strapping 6' 2" bloke upstairs who sprinted down and lifted her back to bed. The carers arrived and declared her broken bone free! Turns out she's had a gastric bug so hasn't eaten or drunk anything for two days.

The bloke went off for some rehydration sachets which she is now taking. I've cancelled work plans for tomorrow and will zoom down there after the morning session. She's such a worry now, but it had to come as she's heading towards being 90 years old.

QUOTE]

GERS Having cared for my mother for several years I know how difficult and worrying it can be.
    Have you thought of getting your Mum a Life Line Pendant? The sort you wear around your neck and just press the button when you need help. Maybe Age UK can help.

Lovely sunny day so will try and get into the garden later.
    DH doesn't seem to want me out of his sight at the moment, not sure if this another stage of dementia or if he just loves me
    I do worry, if anything happens to him I'm going to be so alone.
    On that note I think I had better have another cuppa.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 15,220 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning, ((((((((((hugs) ))))))))) if you need one.

Bright but cold. I have a load of laundry to go out, fingers crossed it dries.

Bad night, OH woke for the loo and then started to fidget for England.

Packed up two machines yesterday. One is going off today the other one on Monday hopefully. Lolly in the bank. Ordered the shed, most of the lolly gone!! 4 - 6 weeks for delivery and erection. At least we know its ordered and can see light at the end of the tunnel. OH hates not being able to cut the grass.

No plans for the rest of the day, I had to buy a new printer and cannot get the thing to load from the computer, it keeps telling me its failed....grrrrr have phoned the techie see if he can sort it, otherwise its out.......will have to return it.

Time to go hang the laundry out........
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,953 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning all, and hopefully Gers mum will soon be up and about again,its a bit of a worry when you are not just around the corner isn't it. I promised both of my Dds that I will not climb on chairs to change light bulbs or if anything is above my shoulder height then I ask one of the boys to get it for me .being only 5'4" and my ceiling heights are 8'6" I'd be daft to try.Eldest DD frets a bit because she knows what an independent cuss I am,but I do as they want as it stops them getting stressed (more or less )

Well the sun is out and its a beautiful crisp morning here in Kent ,but we have some rain due tonight I believe so I may do a small wash and get it on the line to dry .I have taken to doing two 30 minute washes a week instead of the 1h15min ones as my clothes are only worn for the day and its rare I get too mucky as I wear an apron for cooking,cleaning etc.Cuts down on the ironing as well as a lot of stuff now I can hang on a hanger and don't bother with ironing too much I'd rather do something else instead

Hope you all have a good day and if possible the sun shines down on your washing

Cheers JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 7th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 19,715 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

That would be a good OS blessing Jackie 'may the sun always shine on your washing'

I finished the v large ironing pile yesterday but still need to put it away.My plans have changed as I was all set to go to school for my volunteer-session until I got a phone call late afternoon from the office asking me to go to a meeting next week.No hint of what it was about.I asked if I should still go today but she didnt know & to text my friend.I did that but she didnt get back to me till after 9 last night & said that all the volunteers have to go to a safeguarding induction.The meeting is a different day to when I normally go and I dont think I can do 2 afternoons next week especially as I wont have a lift so its either taxis or a very long walk Ah well rules is rules.

A big shepherds pie is on the cards later,we have DGD staying until Sunday I think,her mum is away and then on night shift when she's back tomorrow.DGS is being dropped off tomorrow afternoon for me to mind as his mum has a funeral to go to. At least I'll get some more one to one time with him before he starts nursery school on Monday...sob.... I'll really miss him after nearly 4 years of minding him on Mon aft and Tuesdays .It seems a short time since I used to push him around in his pram up to the shops before we moved here.

AOD- your Mum would have been so glad of your support x
    Holly- hugs,special dates are always difficult aren't they?
    Gers,thank goodness for Mums good neighbours,hope she feels better soon.
    Silver-oldie,hugs
    Switched energy yesterday to one of the Energy club recommendations.
    Right better get on with it hope you all have a good day.
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,047 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone, thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to anyone that needs one.
    Gers - I'd second your Mum getting an alert pendant, my Dad has one and although he has only had to use it a couple of times over the years it has been a godsend when he has needed it.
    Horrible wet, cold and windy day, though nothing in the scheme of things weather-wise! That said I'm not venturing out in it.
    I've loaded my dehydrator with lots of halved cherry tomatoes and basil so hopefully they'll come out ok. I'm aiming for the toms to be semi-dried & I'll vac pac and freeze them when done - that's the plan anyway.
    I think I'm having visitors late afternoon though they might call off if it's still pouring.
    I hope everyone has a good day x
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 9,684 Posts
    • 104,500 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Yay, the washing machine has just beeped at me so I will tumble Max's blanket and then he will stop being a grump. I've also just ordered him a bowl to slow down his eating as he has got into a bad habit of gulping it all down so fast he starts choking. Hopefully this will work.
    Originally posted by dumpling
    A few of my canine guests have had eat-slowly bowls, and they seem to work a treat from what I've seen.
    We had a lovely time at the beach yesterday, Rosie re-lived her youth and run to splash in the sea, it was lovely to see Tilly enjoyed herself as well and they both slept all the way home. We will try to go again soon.
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Aww, bless. It does my heart good to read something like this.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 5,768 Posts
    • 33,580 Thanks
    Gers
    Hi again.

Made it to DMs for 11am and the doc came soon after. Because I'm now here the doc is not doing an admission to hospital for IV fluids - I just have to be firm about getting DM to drink regularly. I've been out for the prescribed antibiotics and Loperamide so she should pick up fairly quickly.

DM has an alert button necklace via Glasgow City Council Social Services. The only issue there is that the carers respond by phoning and DM is deaf and can't use the phone. Hearing aids stopped being effective years ago. It's not easy all round!

Anyway, things are calmer. DM is sitting in bed reading; I've been out shopping and am now going to lie on my bed and close my eyes for a wee while.

Thanks for the good wishes and advice- all appreciated.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,614Posts Today

8,745Users online

Martin's Twitter