Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LaurenHeath123
    • By LaurenHeath123 7th Sep 17, 12:40 AM
    • 108Posts
    • 27Thanks
    LaurenHeath123
    Carpentry
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:40 AM
    Carpentry 7th Sep 17 at 12:40 AM
    Hi all,

(South West Wales area)

I had a carpenter around last week who quoted just shy of £1000 to fit dado rail in our 7sqm bathroom (1.5m of one wall and 1m of the other wall is the shower and wouldn't need dado rail on those walls). I already have the dado rail, and simply wanted someone to fit it! So, hoping you can give me an idea of what I should look to pay for the below (appreciate you can't be accurate but a rough idea so I don't get royally ripped off) :

Fit dado rail (as above, 7sqm but shower is 1000 x 1500)
    Finish off skirting board (we have done most of it but struggled to do the bay windows to a nice finish) - probably around 2m each.
    Windowsill in 2 bay windows and 3 normal windows - normal windows are between 1-1.5m wide. Bays roughly 2m wide.
    Hang 4 doors (already have the doors) and fit door handles
    Fit door architrave to 3 doors
    Hang two sets of 18inch doors to walk in wardrobes (I will supply doors) plus door handles to be fitted

Its lots of fiddly time consuming jobs that we want doing so we can concentrate on some other stuff (complete renovation) but carpenters have quoted £1000 to fit dado rail, £600 for architrave per door and £500 for a windowsill to be fitted. Not sure if these are reasonable prices but judging by the quotes I have had for a complete rewire, new bathroom, new kitchen and complete new central heating system, the carpenters around here are either taking the mick or they are the most highly paid tradesmen in the area!

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • jcb208
    • By jcb208 8th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    jcb208
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    Hard to quote without looking, but the quote seems very over priced. I doubt that it is even a weeks work for a carpenter,so allow for fixings and about 1K labour for the lot
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 8th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    Oh my goodness, that seems way over the top. I don't think they want this job so have inflated prices hoping you will use another company.
    • LaurenHeath123
    • By LaurenHeath123 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LaurenHeath123
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    Thank you for the advice. It has been a nightmare trying to get a carpenter. I'm going to try and DIY some of it. Spoke to a carpenter yesterday who told me he had never done a curved bay window (very common around here due to may 1930s houses, like mine). His suggestion was to dot and dab the wall to become square.... speechless!
    • jcb208
    • By jcb208 8th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    jcb208
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    Thank you for the advice. It has been a nightmare trying to get a carpenter. I'm going to try and DIY some of it. Spoke to a carpenter yesterday who told me he had never done a curved bay window (very common around here due to may 1930s houses, like mine). His suggestion was to dot and dab the wall to become square.... speechless!
    Originally posted by LaurenHeath123

Are you using mdf or timber,one way is to run a saw through the back vertically on the bend at close intervals about half way through then make good the top edge once fitted .If using timber it can be steamed and bent but you will need to make up a steam tube and connect a steamer
    • LaurenHeath123
    • By LaurenHeath123 9th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LaurenHeath123
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    We are using MDF. We have the old curved radiator so we have wrapped the MDF around the radiator and tied it tight with a long belt. It seems to have worked but it has been in that position for a while and I'm not sure I can wait another few weeks to do that for the other bay.

I'll try cutting the back to see if I can do a descent enough job! I was just hoping I could get a professional in so we could crack on with the other stuff that needs doing. The pros tend to do a much better job with the fiddly stuff.

Thanks!
    • HopefulHirer
    • By HopefulHirer 29th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HopefulHirer
    • 29th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    Carpenters / Fitters in Kent area?
    • 29th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some carpenters / fitters in the Kent area that they've used?
    I am looking to get a new kitchen fitted and have some other carpentry jobs that need doing also.

Thank you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

582Posts Today

4,735Users online

Martin's Twitter