Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yowordiagree
    • By yowordiagree 7th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    yowordiagree
    HSBC or 1st credit?
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    HSBC or 1st credit? 7th Sep 17 at 12:02 AM
    Hi guys looking for a bit of advice :-)
    Back in 2010 I opened a student account with hsbc who also gave me a credit card with a £500 limit. Unfortunately my girlfriend fell ill in 2013 and passed away leaving me to care for our 2 year old son. As you could imagine I fell a little bit behind with bills ect. Here's the thing I had a letter through today from 1st credit who have offered to take 185 of the 610 that I owe providing I pay within september.

Now currently it's shows that I have a default with 1st credit as I'd imagine they bought the debt from HSBC. However the dates don't make much sense. I've just checked my online statements and it's shows that's I was making consecutive payments to HSBC for my credit card up until December 2013, by January 2014 I was paying 1st credit up until may. I then didn't pay anything until I made a single payment in November 2014.

I've checked both Experian and noodle which both show that the account defaulted in June 2015 and my letter 1st credit sent me shows that they didn't purchase the debt until June 2016.

So I would think that original default date is from hsbc, but my question is how could I be paying 1st credit before they even bought the debt so surely that means that there is an error with the default date?

At this point I just want to do what is best for my credit rating now that I'm back on my feet. Do I argue the toss regarding the date and if so who to either HSBC or 1st credit who own the debt?

Do I take the 70% off deal and partially settle or do I attempt to offer the full amount on the grounds that they removal the default as it is not accurate as a good will gesture on the part lol is it even worth a try lol

I don't know it's pretty late and I am probably overthinking everything so any outside perspective will be much appreciated
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Sep 17, 6:36 AM
    • 14,093 Posts
    • 14,777 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:36 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:36 AM

So I would think that original default date is from hsbc, but my question is how could I be paying 1st credit before they even bought the debt so surely that means that there is an error with the default date?
    Originally posted by yowordiagree
    No. It suggests that 1st Credit were handling the date on behalf of HSBC before it was sold to them.

If you feel the default should be earlier, then raise it with them.

I would take the offer to settle. Once defaulted, the difference between a full or partial settlement is minimal. The settlement part is what matters.
    • Ficofuture
    • By Ficofuture 7th Sep 17, 11:08 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Ficofuture
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:08 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:08 AM
    Settle on condition they remove it is surely the outcome to aim for ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,587Posts Today

8,155Users online

Martin's Twitter