Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 6th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Emmahammer
    Just been robbed £2k. Can you help me trace a phone number? DESPERATE & DEVASTATED
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    Just been robbed £2k. Can you help me trace a phone number? DESPERATE & DEVASTATED 6th Sep 17 at 10:45 PM
    Hi Guys,

I read a post where it said there is a few ways to track a mobile phone without them knowing. I'm not joking about this but today I was duped out of £2,000. I feel like I'm being strung along by the police by being passed on to action fraud. I really need to know where this guy is. I am disabled so I can't do anything stupid. The sick thing is.....this person knew my motivation, I paid him so I could see something other than from my bed before it's too late. It's totally evil behaviour on his part. He got my trust and now I feel so stupid. I'm not stupid but I was totally taken in by him.

It looks like he's using an iPhone on T mobile but that's as far as I've got. His phone does seem locked down because his whatsapp isn't pinging and I can only send SMS even tho I have an iPhone too.

Please help me. I just feel so powerless. The bank has already told me this money has been moved from the bank account I paid into and fast. I'm guessing that his number won't be available soon either.

Thanks again

Emma 😭
Page 2
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 19,242 Posts
    • 9,357 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Please don't waste your energy taking a scattergun approach by complaining to all and sundry.
    Originally posted by PHK
    I agree. Especially complaining to the mobile 'phone provider!
    • phillw
    • By phillw 8th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    phillw
    I read a post where it said there is a few ways to track a mobile phone without them knowing.
    Originally posted by Emmahammer
    The mobile operator can do it, or you could drive round with a stingray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker). Neither option is open to you.

The phone was probably a burner & the bank account was probably opened using identify theft & has already been withdrawn by now.

If it was possible to get the money back after you've been scammed, then the scammers wouldn't operate.
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 9th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    Honesty advice to you. You are clearly very angry, upset and hurt. This is going to affect your judgement and make poor decisions. Please don't waste your energy taking a scattergun approach by complaining to all and sundry. Actionfraud and the police are the way to go but you need to realise that you're not going to be involved much in the investigation. For legal reasons you won't be intimately involved.
    I would trust the advice of Citizens Advice (trading standards is really the wrong body here)
    I mean this in a supportive way - at the moment you come across as wanting retribution by carrying out you own prosecution and punishment. It's understandable but not going to end well.
    Originally posted by PHK
    I agree. Especially complaining to the mobile 'phone provider!
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I'm disabled and feel robbed of a freedom I used to have. Now I feel robbed of a future freedom that I might have had. I'm sure most rational people (which I am) would feel the same way about this scum who knew full well of my situation and proposals for this van. Sorry, it may seem over the top to you, but this is my life. In two years time when I pay this loan back, I won't have any future other than salivating and pi$$ing down a catheter.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 9th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    All the more reason to move past it and concentrate on the things you still can affect - and I don't mean the negatives which will get you no-where and increase the grief. Revenge and/or recompense may be sweet but unachievable - and if you spend what's left chasing an illusion you'll end up feeling even worse further down the road.
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 9th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    All the more reason to move past it and concentrate on the things you still can affect - and I don't mean the negatives which will get you no-where and increase the grief. Revenge and/or recompense may be sweet but unachievable - and if you spend what's left chasing an illusion you'll end up feeling even worse further down the road.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    Yes, I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure you would feel this calm if it were your disabled wife, daughter or mother.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 10th Sep 17, 2:16 AM
    • 848 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    treboeth
    Yes, I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure you would feel this calm if it were your disabled wife, daughter or mother.
    Unfortunately the person who ripped you off will not give 2 poops about your feelings and will just move on to the next victim.
    Whereas the majority of people on here will sympathise and offer the best advice they can which is small comfort after you have lost your cash.
    You have learnt a very expensive and unfortunate lesson, but hopefully by reading here you will help others and even yourself(come back for more help in the future).
    Please take this post in the way it was intended and not as an insult.
    • Emmahammer
    • By Emmahammer 10th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emmahammer
    There's nothing negative about your post. Actually, it's my next queue in dealing with what has happened. At first, I wanted to hide because I felt so embarsssed for being scammed. I thought I was relatively savvy when it came to internet fraud, but obviously not!

Oftentimes, the only way to deal with something that's so affecting (as this clearly has been) is to try and turn it into a positive event.

So as much as I'm embarrassed about it, I'm going to overcome the shame I feel and go to my local press. Perhaps it will stop others from falling into the same trap as me.

I hope I've not offended anyone on here, It's hard to read people being so pragmatic about things they've not experienced. You don't know how you will react until it happens to you. It's my dream shattered. It's practically ending hopes of getting out and away from these four walls. I hate losing control and ever since I got ill, I've had to give over to it time and time again. This just felt like the straw that broke the monkey's back.

Emma xox
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 5,485 Posts
    • 6,671 Thanks
    Farway
    There's nothing negative about your post. Actually, it's my next queue in dealing with what has happened. At first, I wanted to hide because I felt so embarsssed for being scammed. I thought I was relatively savvy when it came to internet fraud, but obviously not!

Emma xox
    Glad to se you are looking at it more positively now,

If it is any comfort, only a recently there was publicity about a lecturer, whose job is advising about internet fraud, and how he fell for a whopper. Like you he is publicising it to warn others. He admits he felt a right mug and should have known better
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 7,460 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    OP, please take up the earlier suggestion of Victim Support. They can't solve anything but may help you come to terms with the aftermath.
    • PHK
    • By PHK 10th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    PHK

Oftentimes, the only way to deal with something that's so affecting (as this clearly has been) is to try and turn it into a positive event.

So as much as I'm embarrassed about it, I'm going to overcome the shame I feel and go to my local press. Perhaps it will stop others from falling into the same trap as me.

I hope I've not offended anyone on here, It's hard to read people being so pragmatic about things they've not experienced. You don't know how you will react until it happens to you. It's my dream shattered. It's practically ending hopes of getting out and away from these four walls. I hate losing control and ever since I got ill, I've had to give over to it time and time again. This just felt like the straw that broke the monkey's back.

Emma xox
    You're assuming that we've not been in a similar (or worse) situation or have loved ones who have.
    Don't be defined by anger. Be defined by determination.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,341Posts Today

8,249Users online

Martin's Twitter